Contact SalesSitemapCustomer Login

Go Back   VPSlink Forums > Operating Systems > Debian

Old 02-01-2012, 06:56 PM

Question Upgrading Debian

Anyone know if it's possible to upgrade Debian 5.0 to Debian 6.0?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:41 PM

I'd bet it's the same as it ever was and we're stuck without an upgrade path because of the fixed kernel.

The problem is now, that lenny is not supported anymore. I can't even get security fixes.

EDIT: Oh, and that's a dealbreaker, especially with this new mysql exploit.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:53 PM

you've bumped up a pretty old post. upgrading a vps from one full release to another is never recommended. however setting up the services should not take more than 2 hours unless it's very complex in which case you would not upgrade your os without some backup/testing.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwewmpz View Post
you've bumped up a pretty old post. upgrading a vps from one full release to another is never recommended. however setting up the services should not take more than 2 hours unless it's very complex in which case you would not upgrade your os without some backup/testing.
I didn't bump anything. Even though it's 4 months old, it's the newest thread in the debian forum.

What do you mean by 'setting up the services'? Are you saying you have new kernels available, or ones that would work with newer versions of debian?
Old 06-13-2012, 08:04 PM

in the reinstall os options it shows debian 6 and debian 5 but only for 32bit os.
per the announcements forum. debian 6 been available for over a year now.

setting up services as in your webserver/ftp/etc.