Contact SalesSitemapCustomer Login

Go Back   VPSlink Forums > Control Panels > Other

Old 09-02-2007, 08:26 AM

Red face this is ridicules this will not stop spam

this is ridicules, the requirement that you post 15 messages before you are allowed to enter a link into a message is totally ineffectual and places a considerable obstacle to participation.

It will not stop link spam, it just ensures that you get a bunch of dummy messages as people try to fill the quota.

I am trying to make some useful contributions to this forum -- pointing people to articles in the wiki -- and can not do it until I have first created a bunch of dummy messages......

yow!
Old 09-04-2007, 05:06 PM

Yes it does stop spam. Troll much?
Old 04-06-2008, 04:08 AM

Agree that it probably stops spam, but also agree that it's inconvenient. Just thought I would chime in to get my count up.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:49 AM

It does stop spam.
And I haven't seen a single spammer on here that has gotten past that link "block."

Have you? No? There you go.
Connect to my IRC server - irc.guru-game.com:6667
Old 04-10-2008, 10:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to kelvinn Send a message via MSN to kelvinn Send a message via Yahoo to kelvinn Send a message via Skype™ to kelvinn

There used to be quite a bit of spam being posted here. Almost none now. Much better.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:28 PM

I'm sure that is it better. Spam is insidious. I've seen a couple of different methods to combat forum spam, and this method isn't too bad.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:48 AM

I help maintain a phpbb forum, and a similar rule implemented with anti-spam ACP did wonders for the spam levels.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:02 AM

A post count of * before you can post links works just as well if it's 1 10 or 5,000,000. Anything higher then 3 only effects legit community members, and not spam bots. With a good moderation team any real spam can be removed quickly, because this will ONLY stop bots human spammers will adapt/not even bother even if the limit is only 1.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeslinger View Post
this is ridicules, the requirement that you post 15 messages before you are allowed to enter a link into a message is totally ineffectual and places a considerable obstacle to participation.
Your opinion is not a valid argument. Please come up with a sound argument (ie, 2 premises and a conclusion) to support your claim or stop whining.

Quote:
It will not stop link spam, it just ensures that you get a bunch of dummy messages as people try to fill the quota.
Please cite where you obtained this information; I'm pretty interested in finding out how not allowing links in posts doesn't stop link spam. I'm confused as to how one could believe prohibiting links in threads doesn't stop spam. Isn't the circumstance the exact opposite?

Quote:
I am trying to make some useful contributions to this forum -- pointing people to articles in the wiki -- and can not do it until I have first created a bunch of dummy messages...... yow!
Again, your opinion. Threads with links to Wiki articles may prove useful to you, but that's not the case with everyone. Looks like this post was one more addition to your dummy message creation quest.

Best of Luck,

-Guy
Old 08-04-2009, 02:59 AM

Perhaps we could bring it down to 10? I don't know, I'm just a noob here sorry