Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: touch: bad address errors

Default touch: bad address errors

Getting this on my VPSLink-6 Debian Etch server and it's crippling my updates for longer than I care to admit.. Any thoughts on how I can resolve this? I've looked around a lot and saw some comment about how it might have to do with a Squeez apt update, but that was left over from many months ago and haven't heard or seen anything since.

Almost any apt, dpkg, or aptitude operation results in:
    Setting up dpkg (1.15.2) ...
    touch: setting times of `/var/log/dpkg.log': Bad address
    dpkg: error processing dpkg (--configure):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    dpkg

uname:
    Linux example.com 2.6.18-spry2ovz028stab053.5-smp #1 SMP Fri Feb 29 09:53:44 PST 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

Please help!

- Chris

Seems to be related to an incompatibility between kernels on nodes and containers.

Another reported Debian instance: VPSLink: Coreutils versus 2.6.18-ovz028stab053.5-smp

Latest from VPSLink on the issue: OpenVZ has problems with FC10 (sudo and "bad address")

I think an update on this from VPSLink is probably in order.

To date we have been opportunistically updating the host kernel on nodes which are rebooted for other reasons - the nodes which are running the updated host kernel already have active VPS accounts running, so migration to an updated node will not be a practical issue for everyone who may encounter this conflict.

I will inquire with our system administration team's manager regarding his plans to deploy the updated host kernel and report back to this thread (given that this issue is cropping up for an increasing number of OS templates, he may need to revise his planned timeframe for updates).

Unfortunately for me, this is crippling me now as I can't update or install software and it's been a many month issue. I didn't mind hanging on for a little while, but this is getting to be too much. Is it really that hard to schedule a maintenance window on my node some time in the next week or two?? If it is, then please forgive my impertinence. Thanks for the replies and for your time.

- Chris

Quote Originally Posted by waggie View Post
    Unfortunately for me, this is crippling me now as I can't update or install software and it's been a many month issue.
    We have not received any reports of this issue on our Xen platform and I have tested to confirm that this issue does not appear to affect Xen.

Quote Originally Posted by waggie View Post
    Is it really that hard to schedule a maintenance window on my node some time in the next week or two?? If it is, then please forgive my impertinence.
    We make every effort to avoid reboots unless absolutely necessary - if our system administration team is willing to reconsider the update timeframe (particularly as it pertains to other updates and maintenance which they may have planned) then we may have a resolution for you in the very near future. (As mentioned in my prior post, I will post back to this thread with their decision)

If you would be willing to consider an alternate resolution - particularly if our system administrators decline to change their maintenance plan - I would be happy to grant you temporary access to a test account on our Xen platform so you may test to determine whether Xen would be an appropriate workaround. Please send me a private message if this is something you would be willing to consider.

Per our system administration team: We plan to have an updated host kernel for our OpenVZ platform available in the near future (a tentative release date has been set for September 1st).

In the meantime, we have the option to move any affected accounts (i.e. you need the 2.6.26 kernel for compatibility with your distribution) to nodes which are running a compatible host kernel.
    Last edited by DanL@VPSLink; 08-13-2009 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Incorrect kernel version - updated

Question

Quote Originally Posted by DanL@VPSLink View Post
    Per our system administration team: We plan to have an updated host kernel for our OpenVZ platform available in the near future (a tentative release date has been set for September 1st).
    Will VPSlink send out a bulletin to effected customers a few days prior to the scheduled maintenance window? Recently, VPSlink has been good about sending notifications, but I've had a few instances in the past (10 months ago, or more) when advanced notice wasn't provided.

Thanks Dan!

-Guy

There are several ways to go about the update - while we will opportunistically install the newer kernel when unscheduled node reboots become necessary for other reasons (in which case a reboot notification will be sent), we will also likely migrate accounts to newly-built nodes which have received the update and update nodes in place - notifications for scheduled maintenance will be sent 48 hours in advance per policy.

Quote Originally Posted by DanL@VPSLink View Post
    we will also likely migrate accounts to newly-built nodes which have received the update and update nodes in place - notifications for scheduled maintenance will be sent 48 hours in advance per policy.
    Excellent - thanks for the info.

-Guy

I'm running OpenVZ with Debian 5.0 "Lenny". When I try to install on the server I get this problem -

touch /var/lib/python/python2.5_installed
    touch: setting times of `/var/lib/python/python2.5_installed': Bad address

Is this a similar problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast