Thread: udev-145 warning.

Default udev-145 warning.

After doing an emerge -pvuDN system yesterday, I discovered that udev-145 needs a kernel of 2.6.24 or better. When I tried to use package.mask to revert to udev-141, the system refuses to downgrade.

Is there something different about Gentoo in a Vserver under Xen that causes this behavior? /etc/portage/package.mask works on my bare metal servers.

Any pointers are appreciated.

To answer my own post, I had <=sys-fs/udev-145 and I should have had >=sys-fs/udev-145.

The warning still stands about udev-145 needing a kernel of 2.6.24 or better.

--
    fstine
    Last edited by fstine; 08-12-2009 at 08:49 PM. Reason: A simple mistake in package.mask.

Quote Originally Posted by fstine View Post
    After doing an emerge -pvuDN system yesterday, I discovered that udev-145 needs a kernel of 2.6.24 or better. When I tried to use package.mask to revert to udev-141, the system refuses to downgrade.
    Now the question is, how does one recover a machine that was updated to the new udev and now will no longer boot? I tried to file a support ticket stating that I could not access the server via the xen console and the support tech that responded came back and pretty much told me that he couldn't access it via the console either. Not very much help.

"We Always support...Access problems such as inability to login via SSH - we will troubleshoot until we are able to login " That's from their support page.

Maybe they need to have a few more rounds at it? Why can't they just root into the box and take care of things there? I'm having a similar issue and was about to file a ticket.

I would suggest to file a ticket anyway. My ticket number is 1568631 in case there are any VPSlink admins in these forums who can assist. Kinda disappointing that the support page says will troubleshoot access problems and all the tech looking at my ticket did was to look at the Xen console and say the equivalent of "yeah, I can't access it either"

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    Kinda disappointing that the support page says will troubleshoot access problems and all the tech looking at my ticket did was to look at the Xen console and say the equivalent of "yeah, I can't access it either"
    Well how do you expect them to troubleshoot the SSH problem if they can't even access the console? This is exactly why backups are so important.. If the VPS is hosed, and nobody can get to a pts/tty, what other options are there? Reload the OS, restore backups...

Quote Originally Posted by GuyPatterson View Post
    Well how do you expect them to troubleshoot the SSH problem if they can't even access the console? This is exactly why backups are so important.. If the VPS is hosed, and nobody can get to a pts/tty, what other options are there? Reload the OS, restore backups...
    I think the point he was making is that he can't even work the console or get into Xen, which is guaranteed by the service page.

I just filed my ticket as well. Xen is reporting my root account is being inoperable and refuses to connect.

Physical access to the box or a single-mode user login would suffice to resolve this.

Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    "We Always support...Access problems such as inability to login via SSH - we will troubleshoot until we are able to login " That's from their support page.

Maybe they need to have a few more rounds at it?
    The issue has been isolated to a udev conflict on /dev/urandom (this conflict will effectively prevent the pseudo-random number generator which OpenSSH relies upon from starting).

Please note that our support policy is intended to reflect the fact that we will help you regain access to your VPS if our network or operating system templates are the cause of inaccessibility - if you can access SSH by reinstalling your OS template to revert any errant configurations, that is what our technicians will recommend (unless they are going out of their way to help you recover data which you failed to back up prior to making configuration changes).

So far the response team has been awesome, prompt, etc, don't get me wrong.

But one of the VPS setups has reinstalled using your template and it's still bombed out. Waiting to hear back from the escelation on the ticket.

Again, thank you for the support, looking forward to hearing back.