Thread: Kernel sources for 2.6.18-53.1.13.el5xen

Default Kernel sources for 2.6.18-53.1.13.el5xen

Hi all,

I have a centos5 xen vps and I want to run the dhadi kernel module (zaptel) needed by asterisk but only succeed for some extend.

The kernel version is the following:
    [root@arcanegra build]# uname -r
    2.6.18-53.1.13.el5xen

I could compile the dhadi sources after installing the following:
    (downloaded from linux.web.psi)
    kernel-xen-2.6.18-53.1.13.el5.i686.rpm
    kernel-xen-devel-2.6.18-53.1.13.el5.i686.rpm
    kernel-headers-2.6.18-53.1.13.el5.i386.rpm

but when I try to load it I get the following dependency not set :
    FATAL: Error inserting dahdi (/lib/modules/2.6.18-53.1.13.el5xen/dahdi/dahdi.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    dmesg:
    dahdi: Unknown symbol crc_ccitt_table

So, the conclusion is to load the crc-ccitt.ko module, it was part of one of the installed RPM's anyway.

> modprobe crc-ccitt

which leads to the following problem:
    FATAL: Error inserting crc_ccitt (/lib/modules/2.6.18-53.1.13.el5xen/kernel/lib/crc-ccitt.ko): Operation not permitted

dmesg:
    ksign: module signed with unknown public key
    - signature keyid: d90993752217326a ver=3

At this moment I think it is better to recompile the modules on the server and try to use that ones instead of the preinstalled.

But then kernel sources seem to be missing:

[root@arcanegra build]# pwd
    /lib/modules/2.6.18-53.1.13.el5xen/build
    [root@arcanegra build]# make modules
    CHK include/linux/version.h
    CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `arch/i386/kernel/microcode-xen.o', needed by `arch/i386/kernel/microcode.o'. Stop.
    make: *** [arch/i386/kernel] Error 2

Also a find . -name '*.c' does only give me about 30 files all in the /scripts/ directory.

Does anyone knows where to find the right kernel sources ?
    Does anyone successfully build modules for the 2.6.18-53.1.13.el5xen ?

Many thanks,

Bruno

Quote Originally Posted by brunokeymolen View Post
    Does anyone knows where to find the right kernel sources ?
    Little bit of search goes a long way:
    http://mirror.vpslink.com/xen/xen-headers-2.6.18-53.1.13.el5xen.tar.gz
    Does anyone successfully build modules for the 2.6.18-53.1.13.el5xen ?
    No idea, but I suspect someone had to have been successful at one point. There's no fun in a vanilla Kernel

Also came across these:
    - http://forums.vpslink.com/ubuntu/826...be-issues.html
    - Compiling ztdummy on Xen - VPSLink Wiki
    - http://forums.vpslink.com/xen/5161-n...13-el5xen.html

-Guy

Thanks Guy but I'm not getting closer to a solution. If there are any other ideas they are welcome
    Do you know the reason for the "sign: module signed with unknown public key" in the dmesg log when I try to load the existing crc-ccitt.ko ?

Quote Originally Posted by GuyPatterson View Post
    Little bit of searchgoes a long way:
    //mirror.vpslink.com/xen/xen-headers-2.6.18-53.1.13.el5xen.tar.gz
    I came across that file too an it is installed but it does not seem to contain the needed sources (only 30 or so .c files in the scripts directory). Maybe I have to take the vanilla sources and merge it with the content of that file?

Also came across these:
    - //forums.vpslink.com/ubuntu/8261-dahdi-kernel-module-compile-modprobe-issues.html[/url]
    same issue at modprobe crc_ccitt

- //wiki.vpslink.com/Compiling_ztdummy_on_Xen]Compiling]Error ztdummy on Xen - VPSLink Wiki
    The zaptel has the same dependency to crc_ccitt_table, so that is no solution.

- //forums.vpslink.com/xen/5161-need-kernel-headers-2-6-18-53-1-13-el5xen.html
    No solution there. The headers are installed and I can compile dahdi or zaptel modules. But they both have a dependency to crc-ccitt which is part of the kernel modules. I would like to compile the kernel modules but the sources for 2.6.18-53.1.13.el5xen mentioned at several places do all point towards the same files which don't seem to be complete (or I'm missing something).

Really wish I could help but both my servers are OpenVZ and I'm too lazy to setup a local dev/test environment. Maybe the Asterisk/Dahdi guys have a solution/suggestion/work-around?

-Guy

I found a solution. I installed the vanilla 2.6.18 kernel sources on the machine and build the modules (make modules) using that tree.

Then, from the kernel tree:
    > cp lib/crc-ccitt.ko /lib/modules/2.6.18-53.1.13.el5xen/kernel/lib/.
    > modprobe crc-ccitt

That worked for me

I found a solution. I installed the vanilla 2.6.18 kernel sources on the machine and build the modules (make modules) using that tree.
    That should work properly if you are running CentOS, however, I would not recommend that process for other distributions.

I put together the Installing Kernel Headers article on our wiki to help reduce the amount of searching needed for instructions specific to our service, however, if the materials we are providing are incomplete I can ask a system administrator to take a look.