Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scheduled kernel upgrade

Default Scheduled kernel upgrade

I got an e-mail notifying of an upcoming kernel upgrade. May I ask what kind of upgrade this will be? Any reasonably recent version? A while ago I unsuccessfully tried to deploy AppArmor on my Ubuntu box and I realized how very ancient the kernel used was.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Naaktgeboren; 09-18-2009 at 03:24 PM.

We will be installing the 2.6.18-128.7.1.el5 kernel - this is the most recent kernel which we have had the opportunity to test and confirm working for our Xen platform.

Our kernel releases tend to run fairly slowly as it is (unfortunately) necessary to ensure that the majority of bugs have been found and any serious bugs have been resolved before the kernel is updated across all of the nodes for a given platform... in the long run, delayed kernel releases tend to produce a more stable environment and we strongly prefer infrequent scheduled maintenance over regular unscheduled maintenance.

Well, that's the most recent kernel for CentOS (which I reckon is your underlying platform), so I'm quite pleased with your answer. Thanks

I'd be very interested to know if you get AppArmor working on our XEN distribution. Please do keep us posted on your results.

vpslink sent out email notification? i hope they do it in batches because I received no such thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwewmpz View Post
    vpslink sent out email notification? i hope they do it in batches because I received no such thing.
    You will not receive a notification because your VPS is on a hardware node which was recently built and is already running the 2.6.18-53.1.13.el5xen kernel (you can run uname -a from the console to confirm).

My apologies - oversight on my part. I had assumed that, as one of the more recent hardware nodes to enter production, your hardware node might already have the latest kernel (it was not on the last list I saw for Xen kernel update scheduling) - but that's hardly a reason to fail to read before copy-pasting.

Our system administrators have scheduled the kernel update for your VPS for next week - you will receive an e-mail notification no less than 48 hours prior to the scheduled maintenance event's window.

Note that after this kernel upgrade I am now unable to ssh from my vpslink host to anywhere else. I get "Host key verification failed." no matter where I try to go. Also the permissions on /dev/null were screwed up causing many other problems. I've fixed the /dev/null problem but haven't gotten ssh (the client, not the server) to work again. The problem is not obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by rclay View Post
    Note that after this kernel upgrade I am now unable to ssh from my vpslink host to anywhere else. I get "Host key verification failed." no matter where I try to go. Also the permissions on /dev/null were screwed up causing many other problems. I've fixed the /dev/null problem but haven't gotten ssh (the client, not the server) to work again. The problem is not obvious.
    Definitely not obvious - in reviewing the ticket you opened with our support department, there were issues throughout the VPS filesystem which required attention.

Update: Presently investigating a viable workaround for this issue, will post back with a guide at the VPSLink Wiki after testing.

@rclay - Is it possible that a distribution-level upgrade was run on your VPS which may have installed the udev package?

Should anyone else encounter this behavior, I have posted the Problem: "Host key verification failed." SSH error, broken devices guide at the VPSLink Wiki with instructions to resolve the issue.

@vpslinkdotcom
    I'm afraid there's no chance since AppArmor requires several patches to the kernel itself and there is no support for it from Red Hat (happy with their SELinux) or CentOS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast