Thread: Not receiving mail from Hotmail / Paypal

Exclamation Not receiving mail from Hotmail / Paypal

I suspect I'm missing something blatantly obvious - if anybody has the stupid stick, please beat me with it.

I have a Java-based mail listener at wossis.com (a Work In Progress), on a vpslink server. It receives mail from many mail services (Gmail, Yahoo!, my ISP) without fault, but Hotmail's and Paypal's MXes connect to the server for a few minutes and then disconnect - a timeout waiting for the greeting, I'm guessing. They're currently doing that several times an hour at the moment.

Many web-based mail server test utilities report AOK for wossis.com, but one (www,checkdns,net) reports that the 220 greeting is not sent. I can see in my logs that it IS sent. I did try inserting a 2 second delay before the 220, but that obviously wasn't it.

A couple of other web-based mail test pages just never finish loading - that could be the same problem (I have timeouts on the mail sending side, but not on the listener yet).

If you're motivated to take a look, 'postmaster' and 'hotmailtest' at wossis.com can both receive mail.

Any idea what is wrong? I know 'not using sendmail / postfix / google' is one mistake.

Just had a heads-up from mxtoolbox.com that it may be line endings - my mail listener appears to be only sending linefeeds, no CRs. Can't see it in linux telnet, but very obvious from Windows.

Smile Fixed!

That's exactly what it was. RFC2821 4.1.1 says "CRLF". Once I updated the listener, all my mail arrived from Hotmail and Paypal and the previously troublesome web-based mail tests all passed.

Peter from mxtoolbox.com spotted what was wrong straight away.