Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: slowness...

and now ive upgraded to link 3 and it still does the exact same thign.... ffs this is really pissing me off now

unfortunately you have given no information to help diagnose mysql problems since just saying your database is 300mb is not helpful. In the end it might not even be a database issue. Last week i had excessive i/o and i solved it by addressing my database with a large query cache and settings only to find 2 weeks later it was crawling and taking 10x times the cpu periodically. Turns out it was bad behavior script that was working ok a week ago.

Maybe it really isn't vpslink's fault... there's alot going on with webhosting.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

I'm no mysql guru and there's volumes of books devoted to the subject, but from a sysadmin perspective I'd start by some basic monitoring of the db with mytop.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwewmpz View Post
    unfortunately you have given no information to help diagnose mysql problems since just saying your database is 300mb is not helpful. In the end it might not even be a database issue. Last week i had excessive i/o and i solved it by addressing my database with a large query cache and settings only to find 2 weeks later it was crawling and taking 10x times the cpu periodically. Turns out it was bad behavior script that was working ok a week ago.

Maybe it really isn't vpslink's fault... there's alot going on with webhosting.
    what sort of things would be helpful? im not used to having performance issues so dontr really know what i should look at, ive run teh optimize on every db but thats about it

ok, im pretty sure i have proved its vpslink here, ive moved the databases to another one of my vps servers with mysql configured the same and it all works perfectly, move it back to the db server and it goes slow....so as far as that tells me its vpslink's end as the server that it works best on is under alot more load than the db server is....

It can be frustrating when you suspect reasons for performance related problems lie beyond your control and you are unable to troubleshoot.

So, if you want to get an idea of how your disk i/o is performing on your node, compare to these from mine:
    Code:
    (link 4)
    $ time dd if=/dev/zero of=./1GB bs=1024 count=1024000; rm ./1GB
    1024000+0 records in
    1024000+0 records out
    1048576000 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 12.8043 s, 81.9 MB/s

real    0m14.196s
    user    0m0.376s
    sys     0m3.160s
    Code:
    (link 3)
    1024000+0 records in
    1024000+0 records out
    1048576000 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 41.3777 s, 25.3 MB/s

real    0m42.600s
    user    0m0.376s
    sys     0m3.440s
    Code:
    (link 2)
    1024000+0 records in
    1024000+0 records out
    1048576000 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 20.3884 s, 51.4 MB/s

real    0m20.772s
    user    0m0.316s
    sys     0m3.000s
    It's hardly a scientific test, nor is it definitive as there are too many external factors (read users and their current running tasks) that can influence the result. What it will show though, is the base OS' capability to write to your filesystem disk outside of any application.

Reviewing the above figures, the throughput on the link 3 does look a bit suspicious in that it is half of the link 2, but I don't have any historical data with which to make a comparative analysis...It could have always been this way.

chriss is really helpful. usually at this point I feel like it's pulling teeth with this matter. For example I still have no idea what cms/script you are using. is this a logged in user issue? Are you doing these tests during peak usage? For all I know it's just chance you switched to another vps when it was maybe just a search engine bombardment...

Not to say u aren't right and it isn't vpslink's fault. Maybe you can get danL to chime in. I know the support tickets really define what unmanaged is.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

Quote Originally Posted by Cwewmpz View Post
    Are you doing these tests during peak usage? For all I know it's just chance you switched to another vps when it was maybe just a search engine bombardment...

Not to say u aren't right and it isn't vpslink's fault. Maybe you can get danL to chime in. I know the support tickets really define what unmanaged is.
    its doing it constantly, i have nothing running what so ever i try to run it it sits there for 30mins loading, but if i move my databases to any of my other vps's it loads within 30seconds, which to me points it to vpslink otherwise if it was a problem wiht the db or anything like that moving it wouldnt change anything

looks like i may have got somewhere
    ive brought another vps on teh exact same plan and moved everything as it was onto this new one and it preforms perfectly. so it seems it defifntly was something on that vps so now just have to give it a litlte bit of time to make sure all working well then need to get a refund on the one with the issues
    Thanks for all your help guys

sigh, was all running perfectly until the server randomly got switched off...go into my.vpslink.com its sitting there stopped and now its all back to the same again... ffs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast