Thread: Customized kernel

Question Customized kernel

Hi all,
    is it possible compile and install a customized kernel in a VPS Xen machine?
    Thanks
    Regards

Mauro

While our Xen platform offers a greater level of control over installed kernel modules, we do not support custom kernel installation at this time.

You can download the Xen kernel headers for version of the kernel which we deploy and compile modules against the headers.

Does your kernel support NAT-T?
    Thank You

Regards

Mauro

NAT tunneling is not supported.

Our virtual private servers are directly connected to the internet - can you provide some details on your planned implementation? (It seems as though it would be sufficient to use your VPS as a VPN endpoint or proxy)

Mmmm I think you are right.
    I have my router which at the moment is using a 3G connection (I am waiting for an land-line ADSL but it will take some months) to internet. Unluckily this connection has not a public IP address but is natted by my cellular service provider.
    I thought to use an external server as VPN gateway/proxy. Because I can not reach my router I would start the VPN from that to my VPS server.
    Because I am not an expert I was completely taken by openswan documentation I was reading and I did not actually think with my head.

Do you think I could definitely give up NAT-T?

Thank You again

Regards

Mauro

Network address translation is intended for border machines - machines which are situated between your internal network and the internet.

As your VPS would only be accessible via the internet, performing network address translation at your VPS would not be particularly useful because you would be traversing the internet in both directions (i.e. you would not be able to reach any RFC1918 IP addresses without tunneling over public IP space).

I believe that you will find that a SOCKS5 proxy initiated from your home machine to your VPS will be sufficient for most of your needs (and, if not, you can always go the VPN route).