Thread: What are the advantages / disadvantages of using WHM / cPanel?

Default What are the advantages / disadvantages of using WHM / cPanel?

I have been a VPSlink customer for some time now (about a year) and have been extremely happy with the services they provide. I have grown from a Link-3 to a Link-5 during that time, but I am getting to the point that I want to administrate less, and function more. I bought a Link-4 last week and threw WHM / cPanel on it just to try it out. I have never used the software package before, and I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions or warnings about using it.

I think the main thing I want to be able to do is allow each account / site to have their own working directory accessible to the end-user via SSH and FTP with appropriate permissions. Obviously this is easy to achieve using WHM / cPanel. Is this a good reason to forfeit basic server control to a software package? Or does the resource usage outweigh the benefits?

I appreciate any feedback that you may have

Quote Originally Posted by meinemitternacht View Post
    I think the main thing I want to be able to do is allow each account / site to have their own working directory accessible to the end-user via SSH and FTP with appropriate permissions. Obviously this is easy to achieve using WHM / cPanel. Is this a good reason to forfeit basic server control to a software package? Or does the resource usage outweigh the benefits?
    No, that's not a good reason to forfeit control. This is what scripts are for. Any lazy/good sys-admin will automate anything and everything they can, even new user account requests.

Write a simple shell script that will accept basic parameters. Then, let's say "Joe Smith" just signed up for "Hosting-Package 3."

Run:
    Code:
    # newuser smithjx 3
    Which will create the user account, setup working directories, setup permissions, grant SSH/ftp access, generate/email a password, etc, etc..

Take advantage of your environment; non-free software is over rated.

I tried WHM/cPanel for a while as a user (not my own install/admin). Unfortunately, I spent more time learning/fighting/getting annoyed with the process of trying to find out how to do the most simple things that took me seconds via ssh.

I gave up on it in the end.
    I agree with GuyPatterson on this. Lazy sysadmins script anything that needs to be done more than once, but this philosophy is highly dependent on your scripting capabilities.

For people that know no different (better?), WHM/cPanel may be all they will ever need, but I can't say the same for going in the other direction.

If you are trying to offer a back end user CP, its perfect. cPanel automatize everything on your needs, tho it consumes memory I would use it, tho I dont have the money for Link 4 + cPanel, Ive used it and it comes handy for having a whole structure and you can add scripts for even more automatization.