Thread: How about a real console web-app?

Default How about a real console web-app?

I've seen other VPS solutions that offered a web-based application that gives you access to your VPS as though you were sitting at the terminal. Can we please get something like this? My VPS was recently compromised, making SSH inaccessible, and now I have to rely upon VPS support for all access to the existing file system before I rebuild. It would be better for everybody if I could still access the file system through a secure web application, seeing what the attackers did, make file backups, etc. How about it?

are you talking about the ajax term that they have already or were you looking for something else?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeoneE1se View Post
    are you talking about the ajax term that they have already or were you looking for something else?
    I mean something else. The "ajaxterm" app is just a web-based SSH client. I want something (and have seen such at other VPS providers) that gives me a web-based "console," which emulates sitting at the keyboard of the actual server. Thus, when SSH doesn't work, you're not completely incapable of accessing your server.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeoneE1se View Post
    We do have that functionality... on our Xen platform.

I believe our development team may have a similar solution for the OpenVZ platform, however, we do not have release date set - keep an eye on the VPSLink Blog for updates.

Next time, create a VNC server in your VPS, so you can still acces, AFTER it gets hacked.

This is just a suggestion, of many more I can think, but at least I know it works
    Want 10% LIFETIME Discount?
    Send me a PM or e-mail me at admin@dailyipa.com for my referral code and info!

Quote Originally Posted by factorial View Post
    I mean something else. The "ajaxterm" app is just a web-based SSH client. I want something (and have seen such at other VPS providers) that gives me a web-based "console," which emulates sitting at the keyboard of the actual server. Thus, when SSH doesn't work, you're not completely incapable of accessing your server.
    the ajax term is actually a console app, it puts you onto the actual node console for it, so no matter if ssh is working or not it works fine, (ive had to use it countless times when i messed up my firewall settings)

a little off topic but can someone tell me how to issue a command c on the console? I issued a command and the prompt disappeared. Support pretty much told me to use ssh but kinda hard when you disable it for security sometimes and start it up in console mode...
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

Quote Originally Posted by askewdread View Post
    the ajax term is actually a console app, it puts you onto the actual node console for it, so no matter if ssh is working or not it works fine, (ive had to use it countless times when i messed up my firewall settings)
    ah i see what you mean, as dan said on xen it has a ajaxterm console one,

Cwewmpz
    Ive just tried the ajax one and it works fine for me, typing commands and everything are fine

Quote Originally Posted by Deroba View Post
    Next time, create a VNC server in your VPS, so you can still acces, AFTER it gets hacked.

This is just a suggestion, of many more I can think, but at least I know it works
    and you expect that if you're running VNC on a linux box that gets rooted that you'll still be able to login and fix it via VNC?

PLEASE explain this one to me!