Thread: Ubuntu 9.4 Mail Server from Scratch

Post Ubuntu 9.4 Mail Server from Scratch

A recipe I put together and would appreciate any feedback.

Simple recipe to install and configure a mail server on a VPSLink instance using Ubuntu 9.4, postfix, postfix-admin, dovecot, roundcube, postgresql and nginx. This install leaves us with working mail server that has web clients for administrating and using the mail server.

Find it at zaries's wordpress blog.

Here's a link to that guide: VPSLink – Ubuntu 9.4 Mail Server from Scratch

I'd offer a few recommendations for the guide and its presentation:

• Flesh out your CSS styles for code and command display - we use TT and PRE tags at the VPSLink Wiki and you're welcome to grab the style definitions from the wiki if you like
    • Put all of calls to apt-get at the top of guide with an explanation of the packages you've selected (and perhaps a second section with a list of optional packages like the nano editor)
    • If possible, list the total number of steps (i.e. commands sent / files edited) as part of your guide's title - people will be more likely to read and use your guide if they have a relative idea of how much they'll need to do (less is better) - more of a tip for blogging than wiki documentation

You are welcome to post to the VPSLink Wiki with a link back to your site as attribution, as well

Default Feedback appreciated.

Thank you for the feedback. I will look into doing the menu/summary thingy. I don't know about moving all the apt-get stuff to the top. I like to keep the apt-get as close to the config file stuff so as to easily see the relation between the software installed and the config files changed.

I seriously never even dreamed of adding some thing like this to the wiki, I am not enough of an expert to flesh this out so that it would be appropriate wiki content. Wiki content in my mind should be authorative and educational.
    Last edited by Harag; 03-03-2010 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harag View Post
    I seriously never even dreamed of adding some thing like this to the wiki, I am not enough of an expert to flesh this out so that it would be appropriate wiki content. Wiki content in my mind should be authorative and educational.
    Most of the content at the VPSLink Wiki started out as a simple guide or explanation and received attention from multiple members of the VPSLink subscriber community and our staff - guides and instructions become authoritative over time (and with the review of multiple contributors).

You might be surprised at how many people consider a simple mail server setup guide to be educational - Linux accounts for less than 5% of client operating system use but more than 60% of server operating system use.

Default Added to wiki

I finally stole a couple of minutes to add the article to the wiki. It is still does not have the recommended changes but now it is there for all to hack away at.