Thread: TUN/TAP Pointers

Default TUN/TAP Pointers

Hello. I'd like to be able to use OpenVPN (or similar products) on my gentoo VPS but am missing the TUN/TAP kernel module. The gentoo loaded on my VPS also does not have the kernel sources, so I can't compile the module myself.

Does anyone have any pointers/tips on what I can do to either

A) Get the kernel module
    or
    B) Get the correct kernel sources so I can compile the module myself?

VPS Link-4 Xen:
    Linux 59931 2.6.18-128.7.1.el5xen #1 SMP Mon Aug 24 10:08:55 EDT 2009 i686 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5410 @ 2.33GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Oops. Bigtime newbie mistake on my part. Just found the topic on the wiki about compiling modules for Xen.

Sorry all. I'll post back if I have any more questions.

Compiling Kernel Modules on Xen - VPSLink Wiki

**EDIT**

OK I wanted to post my results in case anyone else finds this thread.

According to TUN/TAP device with OpenVPN or Hamachi - VPSLink Wiki, I have to compile and install the TUN kernel module (since i have Xen). Well, when I look in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/, there is a tun.ko already there. I can do a 'modprobe tun' and it succeeds.

But, there is no /dev/net/tun device. I used the instructions from http://forums.vpslink.com/linux/2060...-your-vps.html to create the /dev/net/tun device.

Code:
    mkdir -p /dev/net
    mknod -m 600 /dev/net/tun c 10 200
    After doing so, I can use the program that requires that device (ntop n2n in this case, but OpenVPN would be the same I would assume).
    Last edited by Ryand833; 03-22-2010 at 08:39 PM.