Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Has VPSlink been bought?

Could someone please post the email here? It was sent out from a misconfigured mail server, so I didn't get it and probably never will.

Code:
    Mar 29 19:14:34 xxx postfix/smtpd[9203]: warning: 38.113.1.23: address not listed for hostname lyris.yourhostingaccount.com
    Mar 29 19:14:34 xxx postfix/smtpd[9203]: connect from unknown[38.113.1.23]
    Mar 29 19:14:36 xxx postfix/smtpd[9203]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[38.113.1.23]: 450 4.7.1 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [38.113.1.23]; from=<transition@vpslink-inc.com> to=<xxx> proto=SMTP helo=<lyris.yourhostingaccount.com>
    Mar 29 19:14:36 xxx postfix/smtpd[9203]: lost connection after RCPT from unknown[38.113.1.23]
    Mar 29 19:14:36 xxx postfix/smtpd[9203]: disconnect from unknown[38.113.1.23]
    It's a shame that I have to find out such an important piece of information by reading the forums.

@dairiki
    Is the Seattle data center going to be going away at some point? After the "transition" are we all going to be running out of the Massachussetts data center?
    (One of the reasons we chose vpslink was the Seattle data center. Our user base is all located in the PNW. I guess it's not a show-stopper, but the low ping times are a big plus for us.)
    Yes, we're going to be moving everything out of the Seattle data center to the Boston data center.

We understand that this isn't ideal for some folks, but, if it helps, the pings seem to be run about 85-150ms between the Seattle and Boston data center. That's good enough for real time work without noticing any latency (but if you're doing something that's super-real time, it may be more than you'd like).

Can you give a rough idea for the time-scale of this transition. Do you expect the transition to be completed in weeks? Months?
    There's about 60TB of data to move, so it'll take a bit. We expect it'll last for the months of April and May.

How much of the current Spry/VPSlink management and staff are staying on? (And for how long?)
    The new owners have been doing web hosting for 10+ years. The current Spry/VPSlink team (management and staff) are staying on for at least the entire transition, plus a bit more after that.

I have been through a couple web host buy-outs before. Neither one went particularly smoothly, and both resulted in a long-term degradation in quality of service and support. I hope this time will be different.
    We plan for it to be different. Our goal, obviously, is that at the end of the day, you've got service that is at least as good as it used to be (and maybe there are some things that'll even be a bit better).

@Cwewmpz

I second the dan statement. My experience with support has been less than stella so I feel this migration in a very negative way

Could you elaborate a bit more on this? If you don't mind, who did you talk to? We can follow up with you privately if you'd like.

So far, most people who've called or emailed us seem to have had a pretty good experience. If you didn't have a good experience with our team, we'd like to know more about it.

@chall

But I, too, am concerned about "migration ... to the new Boston datacenter", since I selected VPSLink in no small part specifically because of the location.

If that location changes, then VPSLink becomes less "different", and more like "all the others". And thus more of a commodity, so they will need to compete rather more effectively on other features if they are to continue to receive our business.
    We know location is a sensitive issue, which is why we made sure to mention it in the message. If it's a deal-breaker for you, we completely understand. We hope it's not.

As for the commodity bit, I'm not 100% sure what you're saying there. We don't want to commoditize VPS hosting. At the end of the day, we're in this because Spry and VPSlink are awesome companies/brands and they have a great customer base.

And why is a larger network support staff even necessary? Reading between the lines (and having been in the biz) sounds more to me like a certain network support staff is about to take on all of VPSLink and Spry's support, in addition to what they are already handling, hmmmm?
    Yes, that's definitely true. The only reason we mentioned it is because the team at VPSlink has been doing an amazing job with a pretty small team, managing 250+ servers.

We think having a bigger team (24x7 NOC, 24x7 dedicated VPS team) is a nice thing to have when you're managing that many boxes.

Far more likely is that the "new management team" probably have very valid concerns about what will happen when we do find out the real deal. Bad strategy, bad tactic on the new team's part. Not a particularly good start, in my view. STEEErike ONE!
    I guess this was a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario.

We didn't make the decision lightly. We either send out a ton of info to everyone, and potentially overwhelm those folks who aren't quite as technically inclined, or we send out the first message with a bit less detail, and then answer questions on the forums/phone/email, for the folks who are curious.

We went with the latter decision. I still think it's the right one. Not everyone wants/needs to know all of the guts. For those folks who do, I'm here to answer your questions.

I mean, maybe we have customers we'd like to keep informed, just in case things (heaven forbid!) start to go south under the new regime? Like maybe by suddenly not being very upfront with important information?
    I completely understand this. And, again, for what it is worth, that's why we're here on the forums, and our team is answering any questions that come in over the phone/email.

If there's anything you want to know, please ask.

Sounds like VPSLink was bought by GoDaddy? Am I warm?
    Nope. Not associated with GoDaddy in any way.

In return, the hosting company gets a bunch of captive accounts, a.k.a "revenue streams". When they speak about "added value", they almost certainly mean that they already have deals with Google, eNom, etc. already in place, and that they (the hosting company) make money in addition to our rental fees everytime we register a domain, conduct an ad campaign, etc. I.e., they are adding value -to- the accounts we represent, not so much -for- us as customers.
    Again, for what it's worth, you don't have to use our services to register/renew domains or to buy an SSL. Some folks have been interested in these services, so we're adding them to the value VPSlink already brings.

P.P.S. I wonder what the odds are of the new hosting company having an internal "cloud" that they plan to use to host our "machines"?
    That's a really good idea. <goes off to build a cloud>

No cloud. Loads and loads of boxes, just like today.

Thanks for the answers, Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@VPSLink View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dairiki View Post
    Who is the new owner? Do they have experience (and a track record) in the web/vps-hosting market? How much of the current Spry/VPSlink management and staff are staying on? (And for how long?)
    The new owners have been doing web hosting for 10+ years. The current Spry/VPSlink team (management and staff) are staying on for at least the entire transition, plus a bit more after that.

[...]

Quote Originally Posted by chall View Post
    Sounds like VPSLink was bought by GoDaddy? Am I warm?
    Nope. Not associated with GoDaddy in any way.
    Good grief! Why do we have to play twenty questions about this?

We, your clients, deserve to know who we're doing business with. Since it sounds like the new owners are taking over operations within a few months, and since they are already in the business, I'd certainly like to check out their track record before deciding how to proceed. One hopes the new owners are proud of their reputation — why so coy?
    Last edited by dairiki; 03-30-2010 at 07:07 PM.

For those wondering, VPSLink/Spry was bought by the Endurance International Group. Endurance International | With Endurance Comes Success.. They are quite well known in the industry for their sweeping acquisitions.

@Matt, just some questions I have that you may be able to answer:
    what kind of hardware are you using for the new VPS nodes in Boston?
    who are the network providers for the Boston DC?
    will the current VPSLink SLA remain the same?
    will we remain on the VPSLink custom backend architecture (my.vpslink.com) or move to something like Virtuozzo/SolusVM/Veportal/etc?
    Last edited by The Universes; 03-30-2010 at 07:29 PM.
    Note: my views are my own and do not reflect those of VPSLink

Quote Originally Posted by The Universes View Post
    For those wondering, VPSLink/Spry was bought by the Endurance International Group. Endurance International | With Endurance Comes Success.. They are quite well known in the industry for their sweeping acquisitions.
    Yes, the Endurance team is going to be managing VPSLink / Spry once the transition is complete. For now, we're working to do everything we can to help customers through the migration.

@Matt, just some questions I have that you may be able to answer:
    what kind of hardware are you using for the new VPS nodes in Boston?
    Dual quad core Dell boxes with 16gb of ram. This should result in an improvement in both performance and reliability.

who are the network providers for the Boston DC?
    Cogent, XO, AboveNet

will the current VPSLink SLA remain the same?
    Yes, stays the same. Actually, during the migration, "full" support is offered for VPSLink (i.e. you get more than power and ping) at transition@vpslink-inc.com or the dedicated migration support line 1-877-877-9669 to make sure your migration is smooth.

will we remain on the VPSLink custom backend architecture (my.vpslink.com) or move to something like Virtuozzo/SolusVM/Veportal/etc?
    Yes. The current control panel at my.vpslink.com will stay in place until you're migrated, then you'll get the new control panel with a nearly identical feature set including capability to reinstall, update passwords, access a console, and access support tickets, etc.

I second the questions by The Universes plus these additional questions.

What will become of the referral program and credits on your account?

Will all new accounts head to the boston datacenter?
    You need to be specific about this because vpslink/spry still offering vps at seattle/nyc and it doesn't make sense for new customers to go into a migration within a month of starting.

PS. My offtrack comment about support not being stella is in that they did not understand my support requests initially but Dan has always been on top of it.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

Dual quad core Dell boxes with 16gb of ram. This should result in an improvement in both performance and reliability.
    The current VPSLink host nodes are Dual Quads as well (for Link-4 and up), so I'm not sure exactly where this extra performance would come from. But if they stay the same/comparable, thats great.

What about the disk arrays? RAID 1/5/10? or SAN?
    Note: my views are my own and do not reflect those of VPSLink

it will be interesting to see how a company that does shared web hosting will go in managing our vps's, one can only hope for us and all of our customers they do it well....

Thank you for the replies, Matt. But I still want to have a few things clarified a little further:

Yes, these partnerships will provide you with advertising credits, allowing you to advertise on these networks for free, up to a certain limit. That's only if you choose to use them.
    Why would these networks allow me to advertise on them for free? There is no such thing as free. What do they get in return? I have not agreed to give them anything in return, so I assume that YOU have. What is it that you are giving to them, and what do you expect to have in return FROM ME for the privilege of advertising on such networks for free? There is a very important loose end in that thread. You described some kind of transaction but didn't bother to mention any form of payback. They will be giving benefits to us just because. It doesn't make sense.

We will also offer an integration with Google Webmaster Tools, and we have plans to potentially offer even more services with Google down the road.
    What exactly are these Webmaster Tools, and what more Google services do you plan to bring?

Let me help you with this question: Of course I know what the Google Webmaster Tools are. Do you? Do you realize that Google collects a lot of information from Web sites that use them? It's the price of the Tools. What other information will Google be collecting from the Web sites that VPSlink hosts? I bet you will promise that Google will collect nothing unless we opt-in. OK, but why should I believe you? What prevents you from collecting data from our VPS servers and passing it on to Google? You bought VPSlink to make a profit, didn't you? Please don't tell me that you don't care about the money. AFAIK, the Google Webmaster Tools are already available to anyone who wants to use them. Then what is so special about that partnership that you speak of? What will you be offering to us that Google doesn't already offer to all and sundry, and what will be the real price for such alleged benefits?

Google is just one of the companies you mentioned. I would really appreciate it if you shared more details on your plans to collaborate with Yahoo! and Facebook, or others if any.

The goal was to not overwhelm people with lots of news at once. This is the introduction.
    I want to reiterate what other fellow account holders have said: we manage servers via console, we manage Web sites, we are not fools. Give us the full and real deal. You answered many questions, but still kept mum about the name of the company that is taking over. Someone else had to come along and say it, only then you were open about it. You are not winning a lot of trust acting that way.

Default Preliminary research results

@Matt: Thanks for answering my admittedly somewhat prickly questions.

@The Universes: Thank you soooo much for the info regarding Endurance International being the buyer.

OK, I've spent several hours looking into this, and I'm here to share a bit of what I found out.

But first I'd like to point out that while this acquisition may be a bit inconvenient for some of us, it *is* a done deal, and represents success for the VPSLink team. These things happen! And anyway people in our line of work should always have "disaster recovery" at the back of our minds so that we have a plan already in place for bringing up customer systems on new hardware in a new location with a minimum of disruption. Right?

Endurance International does indeed seem to be primarily focused on hosting individual websites, although they have also acquired at least one other VPS provider, EasyCGI.com. More information on the companies they have acquired may be found by googling for +"endurance international" (including the plus sign) -- the 3rd search results link should be to the Better Business Bureau listing for Endurance International, which contains a list of URLs for their companies.

I highly recommend that you visit Endurance's website to get a feel for what their business direction is -- any company that has an entire page devoted to 'Potential Sellers' (e.g. VPSLink and Spry, in this case) is pretty clearly *very* focused on acquisitions. (The 'Potential Sellers' page is located under 'Strategic Alliances').

And, I'm sorry, but 'The Endurance Story' wherein a certain web hosting company is likened to an "ill-fated, yet heroic, Antarctic voyage" seems very giggle-worthy to me. I got a good laugh out of it (and I've been through a couple of start-ups, OK?).

A private investors group by the name of Accel-KKR apparently has a majority equity position in privately-held Endurance, i.e., owns more than half. Accel-KKR will be very interested in maximizing revenue, and the domain registration, Google, Facebook, etc. stuff is way to increase *our* value *to* Accel-KKR by generating *them* more revenue. But I think that probably the customers on Spry-side will be more interesting to Accel-KKR, sorry, Endurance, in that respect.

You might also find their 'Our Technology' page to be interesting. While it might not be a general virtual machine "cloud", it sure looks to me a lot like what a "cloud" designed specifically for website hosting might look like. Kinda cool, in a way, especially if they developed it themselves. Might even solve some pretty thorny issues of large-scale web hosting without creating worse issues. If done right and supported by big enough iron.

If one goes to web hosting review sites and looks at the reviews for companies acquired by Endurance, it seems that there have been hiccups in the past while migrating sites. *But* the 'Potential Sellers' and 'Customer Experience' pages at Endurance's site address some of those issues -- one can at least hope that they have learned something given the sheer quantity of sites that they appear to have migrated.

Those of us that will probably be more comfortable with a company slightly more focused on providing quality VPS -- and in my case especially Xen-based VPSes -- might want to do a little shopping ourselves.

If so, I've found these pages useful (insert "h t t p : / /" in front, the forum software won't let me post links yet):

wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/VirtualPrivateServerProviders

vpschoice.com/

FWIW, I haven't decided yet on whether I'll be jumping ship, although I do have a couple of good candidates in mind, in about the same price range, but at less appealing locations than VPSLink's current location. However, since VPSLink *is* moving, that'll level the playing field considerably, if you get my drift.
    Last edited by chall; 03-31-2010 at 11:43 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast