Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Has VPSlink been bought?

My VPS is currently in the NY datacenter, which I also specifically chose for it's geographic location. While the difference between NY and Boston probably won't actually affect me, and I've read that all of the resources in Seattle are being moved to Boston, what is happening to the NY datacenter? Is it too being moved to Boston, or will it remain?

Aside from that, I have to say I'm sorry to read that the VPSLink staff will ultimately be leaving us. The few times I've needed support, the responses were extremely quick, and the issues/questions resolved within the same day, most recently within about an hour. I hope the new folks have just as much interest in being prompt to even us smaller users (a single Link-2 VPS).
    Last edited by cloudhackix; 03-31-2010 at 06:12 PM.

What will become of the referral program and credits on your account?
    The new referral program will offer $25 credit for referrals and will offer a new affiliate signup link which offers $100 credit for affiliate signups. Existing hosting credits will be brought over to Endurance.

Will all new accounts head to the boston datacenter?
    New signups will be set up in the Boston datacenter beginning this afternoon.

What about the disk arrays? RAID 1/5/10? or SAN?
    Disk I/O should be comparable to the current setup with a similar disk configuration being used in the Boston datacenter.

it will be interesting to see how a company that does shared web hosting will go in managing our vps's, one can only hope for us and all of our customers they do it well....
    Endurance has been doing VPS for 5+ years and currently hosts thousands of VPS accounts on their own internal virtualized nodes.

Why would these networks allow me to advertise on them for free? There is no such thing as free. What do they get in return? I have not agreed to give them anything in return, so I assume that YOU have. What is it that you are giving to them, and what do you expect to have in return FROM ME for the privilege of advertising on such networks for free? There is a very important loose end in that thread. You described some kind of transaction but didn't bother to mention any form of payback. They will be giving benefits to us just because. It doesn't make sense.
    The advertising credits are provided to help with selling ads. The apparent goal of Google / Yahoo / Facebook is to get more folks buying ads after utilizing the free credit. Some folks use them, some don't. None of your information is provided to them. With all of these the 3rd party *never* gets any information about you unless you explicitly agree to give it to them.

What exactly are these Webmaster Tools, and what more Google services do you plan to bring?

Let me help you with this question: Of course I know what the Google Webmaster Tools are. Do you? Do you realize that Google collects a lot of information from Web sites that use them? It's the price of the Tools. What other information will Google be collecting from the Web sites that VPSlink hosts? I bet you will promise that Google will collect nothing unless we opt-in. OK, but why should I believe you? What prevents you from collecting data from our VPS servers and passing it on to Google? You bought VPSlink to make a profit, didn't you? Please don't tell me that you don't care about the money. AFAIK, the Google Webmaster Tools are already available to anyone who wants to use them. Then what is so special about that partnership that you speak of? What will you be offering to us that Google doesn't already offer to all and sundry, and what will be the real price for such alleged benefits?
    What makes the partnership special is "one click" integration where a Google account can be set up with access to Google services without giving any more information than the default email on your account, which requires you opt-in to, as you surmised.

It's convenient for some folks who like their services integrated and is not required. If you decide not to opt-in then no information is provided. Endurance doesn't have the time or energy to go through sites collecting information and providing it to Google.

Google is just one of the companies you mentioned. I would really appreciate it if you shared more details on your plans to collaborate with Yahoo! and Facebook, or others if any.
    The other services are similar in setup to Google. A credit is provided that allows one click signup, requiring you to opt-in.

I want to reiterate what other fellow account holders have said: we manage servers via console, we manage Web sites, we are not fools. Give us the full and real deal. You answered many questions, but still kept mum about the name of the company that is taking over. Someone else had to come along and say it, only then you were open about it. You are not winning a lot of trust acting that way.
    Fair enough and point taken. We are open to questions and aim to be transparent through the process.

The migration will utilize point to point links to the Boston datacenter. One point to point link will just be for data transfer traffic, to speed up the move of data from one server to another. The second point to point link is just for IP traffic, as the IP space that your servers sit in will be extended across data centers so that your IP can properly be broadcat / arp'd for regardless of what datacenter it is sitting in. This way no one has to change IP addresses, they move with you.

As we move networks (as we finish /24s) that network is then switched to broadcast from Boston rather than say Seattle which should remove one hop from its overall path and reduce latency a bit.

The same OS templates are offered in the Boston datacenter as in the other datacenters.

Endurance International does indeed seem to be primarily focused on hosting individual websites, although they have also acquired at least one other VPS provider, EasyCGI.com. More information on the companies they have acquired may be found by googling for +"endurance international" (including the plus sign) -- the 3rd search results link should be to the Better Business Bureau listing for Endurance International, which contains a list of URLs for their companies.
    Endurance is made up like most of the hosting industry. A big chunk of shared hosting, and a smaller chunk of VPS.

Still, there are thousands of VPS customers today and that number is growing.

One thing to make clear, we don't have all the answers. We're going to learn a lot through this process and will maintain transparency and provide information to each of you about how the process will effect your VPS. We understand that your livelihoods are tied into these VPS accounts and respect that.

Accel-KKR will be very interested in maximizing revenue, and the domain registration, Google, Facebook, etc. stuff is way to increase *our* value *to* Accel-KKR by generating *them* more revenue. But I think that probably the customers on Spry-side will be more interesting to Accel-KKR, sorry, Endurance, in that respect.
    I would argue the same is true of every business. First and foremost our goal is to offer good service. Additional products like domain registration, advertising, etc are there as an added benefit.

You might also find their 'Our Technology' page to be interesting. While it might not be a general virtual machine "cloud", it sure looks to me a lot like what a "cloud" designed specifically for website hosting might look like. Kinda cool, in a way, especially if they developed it themselves. Might even solve some pretty thorny issues of large-scale web hosting without creating worse issues. If done right and supported by big enough iron.
    The "cloud" setup is for shared hosting. The VPS network utilizes a box by box setup. The VPS network has some smart backup hardware and smart networking to segregate backup traffic away from normal traffic.

If one goes to web hosting review sites and looks at the reviews for companies acquired by Endurance, it seems that there have been hiccups in the past while migrating sites. *But* the 'Potential Sellers' and 'Customer Experience' pages at Endurance's site address some of those issues -- one can at least hope that they have learned something given the sheer quantity of sites that they appear to have migrated.
    Each migration comes with new experience, which is then taken into account for each successive migration. There have been several VPS migrations before and plenty of experience to learn from.

Please let us know if you have any questions and remember we have the dedicated migration support at transition@vpslink-inc.com and 1-877-877-9669 to answer questions.

Matt, what about the NYC (Peer1) location? What are the plans for that?

I also noticed the SLA has been removed. What is the new location for the terms of the new SLA?
    Last edited by The Universes; 03-31-2010 at 07:37 PM.
    Note: my views are my own and do not reflect those of VPSLink

I've done a bit of research about Endurance Group Int'l. I pulled their BBB report and they do have a good rating.
    The Endurance International Group, Inc. Review - INTERNET SERVICES in Burlington, MA - BBB Reliability Report - BBB serving Eastern Massachusetts, Maine, Rhode Island and Vermont
    But, part of the reason I had picked VPSLink was for the NY datacenter and the personal level of support we have been able to get on the IRC Channel. But since the buy out, all of the staff has vacated the channel. I am also not happy about the lack of clarity in the email sent out. Luckily, my two year contract expires in May so I will be mobile and can leave quickly if I need to.

I really don't think people in the new york data center need to worry at all because as far as I know the new york data center ip allocation is not even recorded as actually being in nyc by maxmind; in regards to latency and speed wise.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

Matt are you guys able to get an ip and a download test so we can see what speeds and latency are like to the Boston DC?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@VPSLink View Post
    Endurance has been doing VPS for 5+ years and currently hosts thousands of VPS accounts on their own internal virtualized nodes.
    What is their Web site? enduranceinternational.com? I can't find any hosting plans there, just marketing speak. Where in the Web have they sold VPS for 5+ years? Can someone point me to the right place?

Quote Originally Posted by lucth View Post
    What is their Web site? enduranceinternational.com? I can't find any hosting plans there, just marketing speak. Where in the Web have they sold VPS for 5+ years? Can someone point me to the right place?
    If you look at the BBB link provided a few posts above, it lists all of their brands.
    Note: my views are my own and do not reflect those of VPSLink

Quote Originally Posted by Cwewmpz View Post
    I really don't think people in the new york data center need to worry at all because as far as I know the new york data center ip allocation is not even recorded as actually being in nyc by maxmind; in regards to latency and speed wise.
    I wouldn't say I'm worried, but really just curious. If the NYC 'center is staying put, then I don't need to spend as much of my time watching the transition and just need to keep a regular eye out for disruptions in service.

Just ran some pings, my ping is 20% slower to the Boston DC than to my current VPS in NYC.
    (And I am sitting in the GA Tech NOC right now, homed with Cogent, Quest and Level3.)
    Last edited by kurtisnelson; 03-31-2010 at 10:49 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast