Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx) availability

Default Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx) availability

Hi folks,

I know its early days but I'd be interested to know when the Ubuntu Lucid release will be available for installation.

Also does anyone know if an upgrade from Hardy to Lucid is possible on a Xen VPS? I'm not keen to try it unless some brave soul has been there before

Regards,

Mike

I wouldn't be holding my breath on this. Lucid has newer kernel requirements than are available in current CentOS stable xen. Custom xen kernels may be able to provide this though. YMMV.

And it doesn't look like Ubuntu will be looking at backward compatibility: After upgrade from Karmic boot fails, mountall and udevd fail

I'd strongly recommend against trying a hardy to lucid upgrade, unless you're happy to experiment and can revert on failure.

Thanks for the info. On your advice I will hold off on any update plans.

Regards,

Mike

Well.. i just signed up for a second vps for a new site and i decided to upgrade from 9.04 to 10.04. I had to replace the sources list that vpslink provides. I upgraded successfully and when it was time to reboot, i rebooted and it never came back up. I have a support ticket opened on the matter.

Whats funny is that i spoke with a tech support guy prior to doing the upgrade and specifically if i could upgrade the distro to the latest LTS and they said, yea its fine its your server you can do whatever you want. I knew that there was going to be a kernel related issue.. oh well time to rebuild the container

Quote Originally Posted by rizla View Post
    Well.. i just signed up for a second vps for a new site and i decided to upgrade from 9.04 to 10.04. I had to replace the sources list that vpslink provides. I upgraded successfully and when it was time to reboot, i rebooted and it never came back up. I have a support ticket opened on the matter.

Whats funny is that i spoke with a tech support guy prior to doing the upgrade and specifically if i could upgrade the distro to the latest LTS and they said, yea its fine its your server you can do whatever you want. I knew that there was going to be a kernel related issue.. oh well time to rebuild the container
    the new staff really doesn't seem to know anything about xen/vz since they were bought out from a primarily shared hosting provider. I wouldn't trust any technical questions answered honestly for at least a few months. It's really an unmanaged vps and technically you could do whatever to your vps but they won't guarantee it'll work or it's supported.

For xen/vz you should in general update only incremental updates. "upgrade" to new releases is not a good idea.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

Mike,

Im not sure what you mean by update. Just updating the packages for the particular distribution? Since i'm on 9.04 (again, had to reinstall the os in the container with what they had) you mean just updating the jaunty repos?

I hate the fact that we cant update the kernel. I recall there being a bug in the kernel of 8.04 that i wanted to update, but couldnt since it would mess up my box.

This whole "you manage your own server" is kind of false. If they say its up to you to do all your admin work, well updating kernels is a necessary thing.. Maybe this will be my last vps and i'll just get my own dedicated box down the line.

Updating means any incremental release like 9.00 - 9.99. Upgrade means from 9.xx to 10.xx.

If you require kernal update for a particular service than yes a dedicated is better however a server isn't about the latest kernal really. Admins generally do not have policy to "upgrade" to any new release when it's available. You just patch or update whatever needs updating. Alot of things can break very badly with upgrades. Who informed you that you should update the kernal?
    Last edited by Cwewmpz; 06-23-2010 at 09:23 PM.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

Does anybody know if there is a plan and timeline to get Ubuntu 10.4 or higher working with VPS?

Are you interested to know in general, or specifically at VPSLink?

I've seen quite a few requests to indicate there is plenty of interest. I'm working with our product managers to get some detail on when we can expect a new template for Ubuntu 10.04. As of yet there isn't a time frame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast