Thread: New Policy -give us your root password

Default New Policy -give us your root password

Today I was informed that VPSlink has a new policy that requires you to provide the root password before they open a support ticket.

Personally I am absolutely shocked that such a policy could be created without my consent and that anyone who is serious about server management could even propose such a thing.

I don't know what others are doing with their VPS, but mine is running client confidential data and I'm sure that I'd have bits of my anatomy removed by the client if I provided the root password to anyone.

they have only asked for my root password if they have needed to get into it to fix a problem, i have opened a few in the new systems and havnt needed to give my root passwords

Quote Originally Posted by askewdread View Post
    they have only asked for my root password if they have needed to get into it to fix a problem
    The issue I had which prompted this was that my container wasn't automatically rebooted when the network drivers were updated on the host.

I was told on the phone by both Lyle and Danny that the requirement to supply the root password was now a new company policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Onno Benschop View Post
    The issue I had which prompted this was that my container wasn't automatically rebooted when the network drivers were updated on the host.

I was told on the phone by both Lyle and Danny that the requirement to supply the root password was now a new company policy.
    thats a little scary, they did ask me for it the other day to prove who i was but i set a security question and answer and then they didnt need it but thats a bit odd

A password request should no longer be a part of the support process. Please refer to this thread for a more in depth explanation:

http://forums.vpslink.com/pre-sales-...html#post61501