Thread: The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Angry The beatings will continue until morale improves.

I have just received the glad tidings that my last reliable VPSLink server is to be migrated. Below is my response, and I strongly encourage anybody who still has unmigrated (i.e. working) accounts to make a similar request.

VPSLink wrote:
    > Your "mjdalmatechnetau1" account is tentatively scheduled to be migrated in three days. When the migration is complete, we will send you a confirmation email.

In a word: No.

In several more words: This will be the fourth of four accounts I have with you to be "migrated", a word which is sounding more and more like an Orwellianism ("Despite your treasonous activities, the Dear Leader has seen fit to grant you clemency. You will be migrated at dawn."). The triumphant phrase "your account has been migrated" has echoes of "mission accomplished" or "the operation was a success but the patient died".

There has hardly been a day in the last couple of weeks which has not involved some interruption of service with one or more of my three other accounts, ranging from merely requiring a manual restart via the web interface to over 24 hours of downtime.

I do not want to lose the last server that I know I can rely on to this ongoing catastrophe, and therefore ask that you delay the migration of this account until there are reasonable grounds for believing that this will not cause an unacceptable decline in quality of service. I think that this is the least that you owe your customers.

Matthew Davidson
    Alma Technology.

I've jumped ship once vpslink jumped the shark, and saw 0 downtime once my servers got moved over to my new VPS provider. It's really sad that switching hosts causes less downtime then waiting for a migration.

Quote Originally Posted by almatech View Post
    I have just received the glad tidings that my last reliable VPSLink server is to be migrated. Below is my response, and I strongly encourage anybody who still has unmigrated (i.e. working) accounts to make a similar request.

VPSLink wrote:
    > Your "mjdalmatechnetau1" account is tentatively scheduled to be migrated in three days. When the migration is complete, we will send you a confirmation email.

In a word: No.

In several more words: This will be the fourth of four accounts I have with you to be "migrated", a word which is sounding more and more like an Orwellianism ("Despite your treasonous activities, the Dear Leader has seen fit to grant you clemency. You will be migrated at dawn."). The triumphant phrase "your account has been migrated" has echoes of "mission accomplished" or "the operation was a success but the patient died".

There has hardly been a day in the last couple of weeks which has not involved some interruption of service with one or more of my three other accounts, ranging from merely requiring a manual restart via the web interface to over 24 hours of downtime.

I do not want to lose the last server that I know I can rely on to this ongoing catastrophe, and therefore ask that you delay the migration of this account until there are reasonable grounds for believing that this will not cause an unacceptable decline in quality of service. I think that this is the least that you owe your customers.

Matthew Davidson
    Alma Technology.
    they wont do anything, i already tried, this is what they said

Code:
    Hello

Unfortunately the migration can not be avoided. We do not anticipate an issue with the migration of your account, but can not offer and 100 percent guarantees as that is not realistic. You are scheduled to be moved to a new server in the early hours EST of 2010-05-25.
    There should be minimal down time as we re-sync any recent changes that have been made. Your ip address will not change. If you have any more questions,
    please let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeoneE1se View Post
    I've jumped ship once vpslink jumped the shark, and saw 0 downtime once my servers got moved over to my new VPS provider. It's really sad that switching hosts causes less downtime then waiting for a migration.
    My apologies if you mentioned this already, but who did you switch to? For some reason, Linode and Slicehost are jumping out at me...

Quote Originally Posted by GuyPatterson View Post
    My apologies if you mentioned this already, but who did you switch to? For some reason, Linode and Slicehost are jumping out at me...
    I played around with a Linode account for about one month, and was very impressed. But then my VPSLink server seemed to settle down and now inertia is keeping me from moving.

Linode's control panel is very powerful and there is a lot to like about them, including the choice of different geog locations for your server(s), easy setup of private IP's, the total automation of billing/ growing/shrinking your VPS, good stats etc.

The other thing to like about Linode (and Slicehost) is how they still retain a big range of VPS hosting plans, which gives you a lot of options in terms of progressive, incremental vertical and horizontal scalability, if you need it. Which is one of the main attractions of VPS's.

Unlike VPSLink, which now only goes up to VPSLink 5, and where the price jumps between plans are pretty big.

In general I have to say - especially after using Linode for a while - the service offerings of VPSLink have fallen significantly behind the competition. They sure need to put in some work to catch up.