Thread: uClibc/busybox on OpenVZ?

Question uClibc/busybox on OpenVZ?

In my never-ending quest to fiddle with was many switches and knobs as possible, I've been trying to get a uClibc Busybox shell & toolchain installed on a Link2.

I've got the whole buildroot install running fine off a chroot on my desktop box, and have lighttpd+fastcgi+postfix+mysql+dropbear running /w less than 10MB of overhead (can you see my motivation, here? )

Long story short, installing the package on my Link2 overwrites a bunch of libs, which frags the install; rebooting kills it completely. I've seen notes online on how to transition a UML VPS to uClibc, but none for OpenVZ. Anybody have any pointers?

TIA,
    Mewho

Well, UML is a completely different animal than OpenVZ. UML is a lot more compartmentalized. For example, you can have a user-defined container kernel in UML whereas with OpenVZ you're running a shared kernel.

The big advantage here, though, is that OpenVZ performance is substantially better than UML.

Anyway, though, good luck with that. You'll need it.

I dig the difference (literally, OpenVZ VPSs are by and large easier on the wallet, thanks to its reduced per-instance overhead vs UML).

I was thinking of trying to rebuild the entire Slackware OpenVZ template inside the uClibc chroot, and seeing if I could import that. I must be crazy. With as much time as I've spent on this, I could have opened a lemonade stand and made enough to pay for a entire year's Link3 subscription

mewho

I've got a link-1 and I'm trying to run mysql+lighttp on it. Did you manage to get it working?