Thread: Debian 5 template problems?

Default Debian 5 template problems?

I just created a Link-1 Debian 5 VPC and noticed a couple of issues:

1. PermitRootLogin (sshd) is enabled by default. This is a security risk, no?

2. I can't use aptitude. It fails with the following error message:

E: Could not open file /var/lib/aptitude/pkgstates.new - open (2 No such file or directory)
    E: Cannot open Aptitude state file

This message appears when I first start it and later when I try to perform any actions ('g'). apt-get and friends work fine... but I kindof like aptitude :-).

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks!

1. PermitRootLogin (sshd) is enabled by default. This is a security risk, no?

you need to be able to login as root for your inital login or else how would you get into the server? its easy enough after you have logged in and created an account to disable that..

for the second one
    http://forums.vpslink.com/debian/110...dpkg-erro.html
    try what GuyPatterson said at the end, could possibly help
    Last edited by askewdread; 05-30-2010 at 09:53 AM.

touch /var/lib/aptitude/pkgstates
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

touching the file fixed it. Of course it was that obvious :-)

The aptitude directory wasn't there in the first place so I think there's an overall misconfiguration with this thing. Aptitude happily starts up, but does not show the packages I've installed. Of course when I attempt to perform any operations with it, it dies with a "FAILED TO FORK" message (this is with nothing else running) b/c the machine only has 64MB and no swap space. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I'll stick to apt-get.

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjordan View Post
    touching the file fixed it. Of course it was that obvious :-)

The aptitude directory wasn't there in the first place so I think there's an overall misconfiguration with this thing. Aptitude happily starts up, but does not show the packages I've installed. Of course when I attempt to perform any operations with it, it dies with a "FAILED TO FORK" message (this is with nothing else running) b/c the machine only has 64MB and no swap space. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I'll stick to apt-get.

Thanks for your help.
    is this an old vpslink account? They stopped offering openvz at 64mb because of problems like this. well actually they do allow it back then by request; don't know now vpslink has been acquired.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

Quote Originally Posted by Cwewmpz View Post
    is this an old vpslink account? They stopped offering openvz at 64mb because of problems like this. well actually they do allow it back then by request; don't know now vpslink has been acquired.
    Newly created last week. Thought that a Xen machine would have a little bit of swap space to hedge against this sort of problem (even as bad as that would be for performance).

At this point everything's set up on it and I don't anticipate many changes (single-user svn server). apt-get upgrade works fine so I'll stick to that. Thanks again.

If your on Xen, you can make a swapfile and temporarily use it for cases like that one. I would not recommend it as a permanent solution, but to get updates to work, that would do it.
    Note: my views are my own and do not reflect those of VPSLink

you should have swap in xen no matter what package. it's usually double the memory. Please open a support ticket or probably fix it yourself (ticket support may take long because of migration) because you are the first post which says there isn't any which is why I thought you have openvz.