Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Down 12 Times in a Month

Unhappy Down 12 Times in a Month

I wanted to find out other people experience since their "container" was migrated to the new datacenter after VPSLink was purchased.

I have a monitoring service called AlertBot which checks for the public services (http) at multiple points on the net. It detects when the service isn't operable and then emails me as soon as it's dead and back up.

In the past month, my server has been down 12 different times... a lot of 3 min, several 30 min and a few > 2h.

My container is the biggest they (previously) offered at Level-6 and my small-business aka personal-livelihood exists 100% on being online. Previously I went months without a single hiccup, now it's every other day.

I have created several tickets trying to address the problem. Once I got decent response that there was an abusive customer on the node and this was freezing my container... although now all I get is "we're trying to minimize the effects of the migration" without any explanation and it's getting a little unacceptable.

So I wonder...

What are other people's experience with downtime and the response from VPSLink?

is this a xen or openvz link 6? is this really downtime as in when you type uptime did your server get rebooted? It could be your vps is overloaded and you need a dedicated or higher package and the downtime simply means your http is not responding.

Hard to say really with so little info. It could be boston datacenter and there are a few posts but I experience no downtime since the reboot and I monitor at 2 minute intervals and a 3rd party at 30 minute intervals. Oh and the response from vpslink is slower in my opinion but migration is not completed so could be improved but there is now a 800 number. Going to need this since you can't console into your vps now that ssh is locked into port 22.
    Last edited by Cwewmpz; 06-06-2010 at 05:21 AM.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

Quote Originally Posted by Cwewmpz View Post
    Going to need this since you can't console into your vps now that ssh is locked into port 22.
    Can you explain what you mean by this please?

Quote Originally Posted by chriss View Post
    Can you explain what you mean by this please?
    well. as you know the old control panel allows you console access regardless of ssh and allow the change of port number for ssh. The new control panel only allows ssh to port 22. So if you use a nonstandard ssh port which I do because I use to get attempted ssh attack emails all the time... you basically can't access ssh in the new control panel.

Then there was times I can block my own ip (which I can correct with console access) or disabled ssh entirely and enable it in the console when I need it. That is no longer possible and will require calling in or support ticket to correct so becareful with your iptables!
    Last edited by Cwewmpz; 06-06-2010 at 05:56 PM.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

Ok, good to know, thanks.

It's an OpenVZ machine and the level of service is VPSLink-6.

I'm not referring to the os "uptime", but rather a third-party that tests for the public tcp/ip services to respond. When it doesn't respond, I'm referring to this as downtime .. as it appears that the host machine is suspending my container and bringing it back up .. six times in just the past 5 days!

I don't use GUI control panels for my FC10 installation. Everything is in the config files as well. Changing the tcp/ip for the sshd service is in "/etc/ssh/ssh_config" and the firewall can be controlled in "/etc/sysconfig/iptables".

... off to research Amazon EC2

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by boulderdrop View Post
    So I wonder...

Here's some info on external/third-party monitoring of TCP:80 for my OpenVZ Link6.

The entries with "(n)" (where n is a number) means "n" number of times a notification was received that day.

Here's an availability report for: May 1st, 2010 - June 26th, 2010... (Xen Link4 & VZ Link6):

Have yet to open a ticket regarding any of the down time or network issues. I was actually surprised when my servers were migrated after reading all these horror stories. They provided 3 or more days of notice and both my servers were back up and running (correctly) the same day they started. Think it ended up being a total of 4-6 hours down time, maybe?

I'm content for the time being. Think the new owners are still working hard to iron out a few creases. There are signs of improvement and not all of the migrations have ended in disaster.

I did call the toll-free number and asked some kid a couple questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Should I shut my server down before the scheduled maintenance takes place?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan_or_Timmy_or_Whatever
    No. You may want to shut down any disk [write] intensive services. For instance, if you're running a busy forum with frequent activity, consider putting up a "Down for Maintenance" notification to prevent the loss of any DB changes that might occur during the switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Will I receive a notice for each server once the migration is complete?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan_or_Timmy_or_Whatever
    Yes!
    I never received that email, but once I logged in and checked the servers later in the afternoon - concluded the migration was a success (*knocks on w00d*).

Quote Originally Posted by boulderdrop View Post
    after initial attempts at migrating one of my servers my server was down for over 5 days, and now in the last week it has gone down again and im still waiting for it to be fixed

Quote Originally Posted by askewdread View Post
    after initial attempts at migrating one of my servers my server was down for over 5 days, and now in the last week it has gone down again and im still waiting for it to be fixed
    Is this the same one that they gave you opened a topic where they gave you the choice to migrate yourself?

I am sitting pretty at uptime:
    22:55:48 up 31 days, 10:17, 1 user, load average: 0.04, 0.02, 0.00

That doesn't count the recent routing issue so I at least like their hardware.

yeha it is that one, i started copying files off and then they turned it off a day or 2 after that email, so now ive had a ticket open with them for 4 days, i kinda figured when they said make sure its sorted by 7th july that it would be left running until then

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast