Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DNS, Forums moving to Boston

Default DNS, Forums moving to Boston

The DNS servers are being moved from Seattle to Boston over the next few hours. A copy of the DNS servers is already running in Boston and has been replicating changes for quite some time now. This change will likely not be noticed but please contact us if you have any problems as there is always the possibility a few domains might be missed.

The forums will also be moving from Seattle to Boston. A maintenance message will be posted on the forums during the brief few minutes while the forums are being moved.

Edit: My problem was solved after reporting it using Support Console.
    Last edited by simast; 07-23-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Default DNS servers incorrect on vpslink control panel

Hi,

I'm trying to get a site up, but running into issues with DNS.

I used this page to add my domain to vpslink DNS server:

www2 *dot* vpslink *dot* com *slash* webControl *slash* domReg *dot* bml

[Grr... I can't post the control panel URL!!!]

Notice that it lists the nameservers as ns1.vpslink.com
    and ns2.vpslink.com

After a day I contacted tech support and someone informed me that the nameservs are in fact ns1.dnscloud.com and ns2.dnscloud.com,
    yet there is no page or link to this from the vps control panel.

I don't know how to add my domain to the dnscloud nameservers.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

yes. use search and you would have found the answers.

apparently they changed the dns ip of ns1.vpslink.com. originally they are pointing to the same ip 209.59.193.17
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

The domains I manage that utilize VPSlink name servers have been up and working correctly - never skipped a beat.

The domain mentioned yesterday appears ok, too.

Code:
    bigbrother ~:# dig +short @ns1.vpslink.com rolance.com A
    bigbrother ~:# dig +short @ns2.vpslink.com rolance.com A
    bigbrother ~:#
    Quote Originally Posted by mendung View Post
    I don't know how to add my domain to the dnscloud nameservers. Does anybody have any suggestions?
    Ugh - dnscloud.com is authoritative to vpslink.com or vice-versa... In other words, the changes are replicated from SOA (dnscloud) to others (vpslink, wherever they see fit).

DNS, RTFM.

I had the same issue as simast; the latest domain I had set up stopped working and was resolving to what appeared to be a domain squatter's page. I raised a support ticket and got the following response:

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. We will ask that you add your domain names to the new control panel so that we can import your zone file from the legacy platform. Once the domains have been added you can recreate the DNS yourself or update this ticket through the support console so we may do it for you. Please let us know if you have further questions or concerns.
    (My emphasis.) So although my domain name records were (mostly) migrated, the web interface was not, and VPSLink's proposed solution for the fact that they shut down the domain management service and did not rebuild it on the new platform, is that I re-enter the data for my fifty domain names manually myself, via a clunky web interface, and then they can sync that with their nameservers, which will fix the domain that they screwed up - with no effort required on their part.

A note on terminology for VPSlink: If there was a web-based domain management service running in one location, and it's shut down in favour of a similar system in another location, without transferring any data, it has not been "migrated", it has been "broken". If VPSLink's attitude to this is "We apologize for the inconvenience. Fix it yourself.", this is not "support", this is "contempt".

Quote Originally Posted by almatech View Post
    I had the same issue as simast; the latest domain I had set up stopped working and was resolving to what appeared to be a domain squatter's page. I raised a support ticket and got the following response:

(My emphasis.) So although my domain name records were (mostly) migrated, the web interface was not, and VPSLink's proposed solution for the fact that they shut down the domain management service and did not rebuild it on the new platform, is that I re-enter the data for my fifty domain names manually myself, via a clunky web interface, and then they can sync that with their nameservers, which will fix the domain that they screwed up - with no effort required on their part.

A note on terminology for VPSlink: If there was a web-based domain management service running in one location, and it's shut down in favour of a similar system in another location, without transferring any data, it has not been "migrated", it has been "broken". If VPSLink's attitude to this is "We apologize for the inconvenience. Fix it yourself.", this is not "support", this is "contempt".
    oh i see. I apologize. Your complaint is in manually adding your previous 50 domains. Perhaps they required the domain names to import the dns entries? but adding 50 domain names would be time consuming.
    Last edited by Cwewmpz; 07-13-2010 at 01:36 AM.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

So the next response from VPSLink support was "With domains being added to the account we do not know which domains need to be attached to each account of yours and if you are wanting to keep each domain. Unfortunately, so there are no mistakes we require your assistance in the matter."

Of course by definition, all the information necessary to rebuild the data in the web DNS management system is on the name servers, so this is not true. I resigned myself to manually (re)configuring all my domains on the new system. I had to add all of my domains to a single one of my accounts, because on the new system, everything is associated with an account tied to a single VPS. This makes no sense in my case, and I suspect this is the case for many people, as each of my domains has at minimum a web site running on one VPS and mail accounts on another (if not more services elsewhere).

On adding those domains, the system did not as I hoped pull the configuration info from the zone file on the nameservers. In fact it appeared to overwrite the existing configuration with a simple default - and completely wrong - configuration. I then had to reconfigure each of 50 domains by manually copying from the old system at my.vpslink.com, which kept me busy well into the night. After finishing this, my support ticket was updated with an offer from a more senior support monkey to do this work for me. Better late than never I suppose.

This morning I find that my.vpslink.com now redirects to the new system, so I am very glad I did this work last night, and didn't put it off till the morning. If you have more than a few domains and/or domains with non-trivial configuration that you haven't yet set up in the new system, I strongly recommend you raise a support ticket with VPSLink, insisting they import the configuration data into the new domain management system - because it's now not possible to get the data from the old system and do it yourself.

An incidental concern with the new system is that it appears to limit us to five subdomains and five MX records. There was no such limit on the old system.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I think there might not be many who use the vpslink dns servers for it to be a problem unfortunately... I personally never used it and there's just so many alternatives. You could use the registrars since there's less chance of you changing registrars than hosting providers.

The developers here use a variety of alternatives like cpanel dns-only, their own nameservers, third party nameservers, powerdns... The list goes on and on.

Actually, I currently use two registrars, depending on TLD, and I've gone through at least four others in the time I've been with VPSLink (they start off providing a good, simple, cheap service, then get bought out by larger, less scrupulous companies - sound familiar?). There never seemed to be any point using anybody else's nameservers, or setting up my own when VPSLink's system was so easy and reliable.

Sigh. I suppose those days are gone. As you say, there are many practical alternatives to make up for the new deficiencies in the service we're paying for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast