Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reverse DNS Changes (New Style)

Matt,

Thank you for adding to this thread. "Cwewmpz" implies that you (as a VPSlink employee?) might actually be able to get things done---and maybe answer some of my concerns/questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@VPSLink View Post
    @lightner

The "Add registered domain to account" tool does not transfer a domain to Tucows. Transferring a domain to Tucows requires a more in depth process, and is listed under the Transfer Domain tool.

The add registered domain to account allows using the domain for various functions within the control panel.
    That I gathered---now---but the Webpage leading to that page says something very different, as does the Webpage itself. A search of this forum for "reverse DNS" gives out-of-date/flawed advice and information on the subject---which is why I started this thread. Hopefully, we can get that misinformation fixed sometime.

Instructions for setting up/changing "reverse DNS" under the VPSlink support FAQs might make good sense as well.

VPS support is all handled in Phoenix AZ and is staffed 24 hours each day.
    Good news...I guess! So, given that right now California and Arizona share the same UTC timezone offset, help me understand why support from VPSlink now takes hours and days instead of minutes---like before the "Great Migration"?

Best regards,

Bruce

I'm not seeing anywhere on the page that mentions anything about transferring a domain to Tucows. Which url are you looking at? I'm looking at http://www2.vpslink.com/webControl/domReg.bml which is the "Add Registered Domain to Account" tool.

Matt,

Let me be more precise. Let's look at exactly what the URL that *you* specified says---being a "Junior Member" I cannot embed a URL in *my* forum postings! The Webpage states very clearly:

If you already own a domain name, and would like it to be hosted on VPSLink, enter your domain into the form below and click the "Add Domain" button.

The "Instructions" which follow this statement make it clear (to me anyway) that the Webpage is for transferring domains.

Once you enter a domain in the form and then "ask for the domain to be hosted on VPSLink" by clicking on the "Add Domain" button---something which I did not want to do---you are taken to a Webpage that clearly is designed to assist in moving your domain to TuCows---also something that I did not want to do.

So, Matt, as a VPSLink insider, how about answering my question, that I now have asked repeatedly:

Help me understand why support from VPSlink now takes hours and days instead of minutes---like before the "Great Migration"?
    Best regards,

Bruce D. Lightner

I was curious about the policy with the reverse dns that you stated so I added a domain using that link and it does not transfer or initiate any domain out of your current registrar. Also if you did click the add domain it's already added on your domain central list so you could update your ticket...

The funny thing is I couldn't find the link to remove the domain afterwards... but that's another story. Just an fyi.
    Last edited by Cwewmpz; 10-05-2010 at 12:49 AM.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

So, Matt, as a VPSLink insider, how about answering my question, that I now have asked repeatedly:

Quote:
    Help me understand why support from VPSlink now takes hours and days instead of minutes---like before the "Great Migration"?
    The time to answer any support request honestly cannot be generalized and is going to depend on the specific case.

The Tier 2 staff in Phoenix trained for handling VPS is available and answering tickets 24 x 7.

I'm sorry to hear that your experience has been "hours and days" to resolve a ticket. If you can send me a PM with the ticket numbers I'll see what we can do on this end to improve response times going forward.

Matt,

Trust me! This is not the first time that I have experienced this kind of service from VPSLink.

My first experience under the "new and improved" VPSLink service regime was a multi-day VPS outage after the unannounced "migration" of another much older VPSLink server, which had my clients calling me asking what the heck was going on with their Websites. It took 24-hours before I realized that I had to call your 800-number before anyone would even look into the problem---my trouble ticket literally was being ignored. I was told to "call next time" because email/trouble ticket response was always slow.

Back to the present issue: Our "reverse DNS" is now working---after three days!!!

Here's the "score card" from this three-day "goat rope" exercise with VPSLink support:

---------------------------------------------------
    Date Type
    10/02/2010 12:27 PM EDT Ticket Created
    10/02/2010 12:27 PM EDT Bruce D Lightner contacted VPSLink
    10/03/2010 1:36 AM EDT Updated Ticket: Work in Progress
    10/03/2010 3:55 AM EDT VPSLink contacted Bruce D Lightner (Resolved)
    10/03/2010 11:24 AM EDT Bruce D Lightner contacted VPSLink
    10/04/2010 12:05 AM EDT VPSLink contacted Bruce D Lightner (Resolved)
    10/04/2010 11:53 AM EDT Bruce D Lightner contacted VPSLink
    10/05/2010 5:58 AM EDT VPSLink contacted Bruce D Lightner
    10/05/2010 6:26 AM EDT Updated Ticket: Work in Progress
    10/05/2010 7:09 AM EDT Updated Ticket: Work in Progress
    10/05/2010 7:17 AM EDT Bruce D Lightner contacted VPSLink
    10/05/2010 7:21 AM EDT VPSLink contacted Bruce D Lightner (Resolved)

Comment:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Technical Support,

The reverse dns records have been updated. Within the next 24 hours the record will change. If you do not see the changes after that amount of time let us know. Otherwise if there are no other questions you can close this ticket from your support console.

Demeron J
    Technical Support Tier 2
    ---------------------------------------------------

I know that you guys could do better! Me? I'm probably going to be seriously considering an alternate VPS vendor.

As for the many friends, colleagues and clients that I have "sung the praises" of VPSLink support to in the past---lacking a good explanation, I'm probably going to have to share this precautionary story.

Best regards,

Bruce D. Lightner
    lightner@lightner.net
    Bruce D. Lightner
    Last edited by lightner; 10-05-2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: typo

Default How to Add "Reverse DNS" to a VPS IP Address (Oct 2010)

Just to finish this up, I added a new thread called "How to Add "Reverse DNS" to a VPS IP Address (Oct 2010)" which hopefully can be used by others in the future to avoid the VPSLink support "goat rope" exercise that I got to experience. :-)

It's a brave new world...post "migration"! I must say that I liked things a whole lot better when we were all hosted on the West Coast.

Best regards,

Bruce D. Lightner

Looking over the ticket I can see where the response time was delayed. The agents shift ended while they were waiting for a response. I'll see if theres anything we can do from this end to ensure a ticket doesn't end up in this same situation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12