Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Xen Console Panel Has No Console!

Default New Xen Console Panel Has No Console!

First let me say I have been a customer for years...

Today I logged into my server, and found the filesystem had failed into read-only mode. Unable to remount it, I opt'd to reboot my server, but it didn't come back online.

I then went to go to my control panel only to find I have been migrated to a new one which does not have console access. This was a shock to me, and now my server will be down for hours, possibly a day or longer if the level 2 tech can't fix this issue for me. In the past I could have used the console I expected to have access to as a customer to fix this issue, now I am dependent on a tech to attempt repairs on my server for me.

I strongly believe that VPSLink has made a serious error in judgement in removing our console access.

I will most likely need to find a new hosting provider because of this.
    _
    TLDR: VPSLink removed our console access, and didn't tell us first.
    Last edited by Nullsign; 11-03-2010 at 06:06 PM.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Your VPS has been repaired. It required a file system check. I have petitioned our development staff to add tools to perform file system checks into the VPS control center to help out in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@VPSLink View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that.

Your VPS has been repaired. It required a file system check. I have petitioned our development staff to add tools to perform file system checks into the VPS control center to help out in the future.
    Matt,

Your involvement and willingness to respond on the forums is one of the reasons I liked VPSLink.com, I hope that never changes, but the lack of a console is still a problem in my mind.

Is there any chance they can let us have access to the console again? If I had that, I'd have no reason to complain.
    Last edited by Nullsign; 11-03-2010 at 06:08 PM.

I have noted the console issue when I was migrated so I second the request.

IF it's not possible you should add tools to
    1) remove ipfilters in situations of being blocked by firewall and
    2) ability to restart ssh should it fail.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

I would have to say I am cautiously optimistic as I would also like to see the console returned. Something tells me it could take quite a while to implement though.

Check back with me in a day or so. I'll see what I can find out.

I have to say... oh no! I've been away since my last post on gentoo last March. I come back to fluffy controls with no meat! Meat is why I signed up here in the first place. The ssh console was good, but even more important was reboot/shutdown/start and status information. The ability to "re-provision" to whatever OS I chose with a click, was what impressed everyone.

It is gone??? I'm without words!

"VPSLink removed our console access, and didn't tell us first."

Quote Originally Posted by serrs View Post
    I have to say... oh no! I've been away since my last post on gentoo last March. I come back to fluffy controls with no meat! Meat is why I signed up here in the first place. The ssh console was good, but even more important was reboot/shutdown/start and status information. The ability to "re-provision" to whatever OS I chose with a click, was what impressed everyone.

It is gone??? I'm without words!

"VPSLink removed our console access, and didn't tell us first."
    The ability to "reboot/shutdown/start and status" is still available. You do need to click the link to get the current status, but other than that it works the same. Re-installation is also available like before.

But yes, the SSH console access is unfortunately gone. Matt@VPSLink has said its something that even he would like to see return, but may take more time than we'd like.
    Note: my views are my own and do not reflect those of VPSLink

Quote Originally Posted by Nullsign View Post
    First let me say I have been a customer for years...

Today I logged into my server, and found the filesystem had failed into read-only mode. Unable to remount it, I opt'd to reboot my server, but it didn't come back online.

I then went to go to my control panel only to find I have been migrated to a new one which does not have console access. This was a shock to me, and now my server will be down for hours, possibly a day or longer if the level 2 tech can't fix this issue for me. In the past I could have used the console I expected to have access to as a customer to fix this issue, now I am dependent on a tech to attempt repairs on my server for me.

I strongly believe that VPSLink has made a serious error in judgement in removing our console access.

I will most likely need to find a new hosting provider because of this.
    _
    TLDR: VPSLink removed our console access, and didn't tell us first.
    I have exactly the same issue with a read only filesystem.
    There is no way to restart or do anything to the server from the NEW control panel.
    Support have restarted the server and are now looking at fixing it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Universes View Post
    The ability to "reboot/shutdown/start and status" is still available. You do need to click the link to get the current status, but other than that it works the same. Re-installation is also available like before.

But yes, the SSH console access is unfortunately gone. Matt@VPSLink has said its something that even he would like to see return, but may take more time than we'd like.
    Walk me through how to do it! There is no obvious way to do anything to the server via the control panel.

I understand what you are saying Proppinupthebar.

The only thing missing in the control panel is the ability to connect to console or use the webbase ssh into a different port. It is right there in the control panel, click on vps-xen or openvz, the options are all there in that one page so I am unsure what there is to explain...

However the shutdown/reboot does not currently seem like a solution to any read only filesystem error and I would not recommend using it from previous reports when the filesystem goes readonly or ssh won't startl as the last time I rebooted from the panel I had to like you contact support for them to run a file check which can take some hours. That is the only tool which is missing. hopefully it will be developed soon so issues like yours does not surface since downtime makes alot of people unhappy.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast