Thread: Screwed up my Gentoo -- need my files before a rebuild

Default Screwed up my Gentoo -- need my files before a rebuild

Hello,

I did update some packages long ago, and fixed my problem by avoiding updating anything. I decided to update "portage" 1st before I update selected packages afterwards.

I did:
    emerge --sync
    emerge -pvuND portage (list of compiled packages tinyurl.com/2bf7ohv)
    revdep-rebuild -q
    perl-rebuild --all -- -q

Then rebooted my VPS container from the web control panel. Bingo, mission accomplished -- I successfully screwed up my container.

I can't ping my IP address, nor I can access the Java terminal (gives me connection timeout). So I assume it's not booting.

Questions (ordered by my preference):
    - Anyway to boot up my container successfully?
    - Can we undo to last healthy sate?
    - If the only way is rebuilding container again, can I get a copy of my files (they are very critical to me)?

Are there any lists of packages to not emerge, for sake of avoiding my miserable situation?

Please send me a PM with your IP address and / or support ticket number. There may be something simple that can be fixed quickly.

If it isn't something simple, then a reinstall would be the next route. We can reinstall with a backup of the VPS data in /old for $75. A reinstall without a backup of the VPS data in /old can be performed for no charge through the VPS control center.

Thanks. I PMed you.

Kinda off-topic: any plans to provide full Xen hardware virtualization, so that we can happily upgrade/update without worries of kernel issues (slower than paravirtualization, but might appease update-hungry clients like myself).

I think this is more of an issue for gentoo is investigate and provide a foolproof upgrade path. Typically Centos and Debian will not have these problems. Different distros will require expertise which is hard to fine.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

A reboot and file system check looks to have corrected the issue.

I don't see full hardware virtualization in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@VPSLink View Post
    A reboot and file system check looks to have corrected the issue.

I don't see full hardware virtualization in the near future.
    Was it possible for me to do this remotely (e.g. via control panel)?

Thanks for bringing it up!

Not yet. Hoping engineering will put in a file system check tool in the control panel.

Awesome! Thank you very much.