Thread: can't write: read-only file system

Default can't write: read-only file system

I modified apache's configuration, then did a /etc/init.d/apache2 restart, and it crashed due to a typo of mine in the config file.

I basically added !Indexes (I wanted to remove it). That's why apache2 crashed.

So I reopened the same config file, and did "-Indexes" instead, which should be alright. Then I wanted to save the file, but ops can't write to a read-only file.. Weird!

I executed mount command, and / seems mounted on "rw", which is good. But yet I can't write my configs.

I did cd ~, and touch test.txt, I can't even write even in my home. It seems something bigger than what I can do.

I did reboot my container from the management interface. The web based interface says "up", but I can not ping my IP. It seems the container is up from the XEN prespective, but the actual OS inside it is unable to boot. I sense a simple file system issue. Probably someone doing a fsck should do it (I guess).

I'm not sure whether apache2's failure was related. I don't think Linux filesystems crash because of apache2 failures.

Could someone pull me up. Gotta upload some files by tomorrow. So I have one more day to wait.

Note for support engineers in case I don't reply to PMs quick enough: the domain name is the same as my email's domain.
    Last edited by mmaakh; 01-08-2011 at 11:22 PM.

Hi mmaakh, You're right, Apache crashing shouldn't cause your filesystem to remount read-only. There's probably a larger issue happening here.

I suggest that you open up a support ticket through the control panel interface. The support engineers do visit the forums, but it's easier for them to check your container if you file a support ticket.

Best wishes,

- Chris

Oh I didn't know that such thing existed. Just found it under the tiny "?" help icon.

Someone needs bigger glasses!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mmaakh View Post
    Oh I didn't know that such thing existed. Just found it under the tiny "?" help icon.

Someone needs bigger glasses!

Thanks!
    I actually created a topic because I couldn't find the support ticket area so it's not just you... Please note the quickest way to contact vpslink is through the phone number for downtime or if you experience read/write issues. While you can reboot in the control panel there have been reported instances where users had to get a file check initiated so you might as well contact them first.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

Quote Originally Posted by Cwewmpz View Post
    I actually created a topic because I couldn't find the support ticket area so it's not just you... Please note the quickest way to contact vpslink is through the phone number for downtime or if you experience read/write issues. While you can reboot in the control panel there have been reported instances where users had to get a file check initiated so you might as well contact them first.

This keeps happening to my VPSLink server as well.

And when it does, if i reboot it - the server goes offline, since the filesystem needs to be fsck'd. This means I have to open a ticket for them to do it... and it is getting really old.
    Last edited by Nullsign; 01-14-2011 at 03:39 PM.

Add me to the list of people affected. First time was 6th Jan and now today (26th).
    Last edited by Proppinupthebar; 01-26-2011 at 06:06 PM.