Thread: help please :) E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (100)

Unhappy help please :) E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (100)

Hello,

I haven't touched my vps in 2 months then last night I ran the following command:

myserver:/usr/bin# apt-get upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages have been kept back:
    makepasswd
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    libc6 libc6-dev libc6-xen libmysqlclient15off locales mysql-client mysql-client-5.0 mysql-common mysql-server mysql-server-5.0
    10 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0B/50.1MB of archives.
    After this operation, 483kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    Preconfiguring packages ...
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (100)

I googled and it seems to be a permission thing for "dpkg". However, I cd into /usr/bin and there's no dpkg binary!!! Please help thanks

im running on xen, Debian 5.0-i386-default

usually it's a permission on dpkg since it can only run as super user. since it's not there than it was deleted.

You would simply download the dpkg package and extract it. you might have to run configure on it but that's about it.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink