Thread: Separate MX record for my domain

Default Separate MX record for my domain

Hello,

I have transfered my website from another hosting to vpslink. However I do not wish to transfer emails to vpslink. So I contacted the other host if they can create a MX record for my domain example.com . They did an now I'm trying to set domain to point to their IP address which holds my MX RECORD. I figured that I should do this in :

Domain Central: and fill in MX Record
    Update MX Record to define the mail receiving server. Please note: Changes may take up to 24 hours to take effect.

Priority Host Points To: Action

From the other host I have IP address of server which holds my MX record and mail.example.com

How do I fill this in? example.com is my primary domain for vpslink hositng. and domain name is delegated to my vpslink hosting. Is there anything else I need to do?

thank you

The mx record by default should be set up to point mail sent to example.com to the mail server at mail.example.com with a priority of 10.

Then a query would be sent to mail.example.com for the A record, which would point to some IP address.

In your case where the mx record will still be mail.example.com, but the IP address would be different, then the A record for mail.example.com should be updated to reflect the IP address of the other host.

To do that within Domain Central expand the selection under the desired domain, Click DNS, Select Modify A Record, and then if a mail record is defined select edit to the right of it, enter the new IP address and click "Save". If a mail record is not defined, in the blank line enter mail in the left side, the IP address in the right side, and click "Add".

Hi Matt,

thank you for your reply. Here are my records:

A records ( 3 records ):

example.com 209.59.218.51

mail 74.52.237.178

MX record ( 1 record ):

10 @ mail.example.com

I allowed 24 hours to propagate after my last change. Created email test@example.com and sent testing email from my gmail. The email did not bounced back but I have not received it either. Any ideas? Could you guys possibly have a look at my account ( iinux ) and tell me what I have don wrong?

thank you

I checked the domain, and found a typo in the mx record. Other than that everything else looks ok.