Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to vps - how to access sites

Question new to vps - how to access sites

Can someone please help out a newbe? I had a shared plan using addon domains, no problem. Now I purchased vps, xen, cento 5 w/LAMP and can't figure out how to access the server. Maybe I'm just not finding a post that's already here?

Hoping you can tell me how access vps w/ putty. I just get "network error. connection refused." Also, do I access each site separately, or are all domains together (i've only used addon domains in the past, so not sure how vps works)?

Same question for filezilla access.

Also, if i go to vps control center, java ssh terminal, i get to a completely different place than if i go to settings/site editing options/filemanager/edit site. Can someone explain?

I wonder if the key to this is knowing how to use the vps control center, xen console access? There is input for hostname, create new key and show key. Not sure if each site has different key? If I click show key, I get an error, "unable to display ssh key: user not ok"

If someone can help me as to how to access my different sites w/ putty and filezilla, I think I should be good to go. I have enough knowledge of linux, but always had managed plans, so know nothing of apache, except what i need to know for .htaccess mods. Do I need to about apache to use vps for multiple websites?

Is there is a link you can point me to that explains what I need to know?

Many "thanks" for any help.

You can access the VPS by using SSH. Connect with a SSH client like putty to your VPS: Use your [ip]

SSH uses port 22 by default.

thank you. that worked w/ putty, logged in as root, used ip and port 22. would you please look at my other questions above, and help if you can? looks like this forum isn't used by many people.

Hello... you can take a look at the wiki.

In purchsing a vps you are administrating a virtual server. Therefore you have to install and manage applications yourself to host websites or other services including understanding your vps memory limits and how to configure applications like apache to host your websites as it can exceed your allocation.

Please bare in mind that you are responsible for the security of your server. It is important to secure your server otherwise under most Terms of Service you will be terminated.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

thanks for your reply. i spent a lot of time looking thru the wiki and other references before asking this question. seems like the basics are missing.

possibly i need to cancel this service and purchase a managed service. i think if there were better instructions, i would be fine.

i think i can set up a firewall ok, from instruction i've seen. also thinking if i had a small amount of time from someone that knows what they're doing, i would be fine.

please answer this: if someone helps me get started, is it much work to maintain an unmanaged system? I kinda hate to pay twice as much to get a managed system if it's really only a setup issue. However, it it's a maintanence issue, then it's probably worth the cost.

Thanks again.

I would say managing a vps is not that much different than managing your home computer. There are the typical commands and procedures to install, update, and secure your vps depending on your operating system. What a vps is a bare version of a computer with your choice of linux o/s that does not have a graphical interface.

The principles are the same but your home computer is more flashy that might have alot more programs installed by default but they still need to be configured.

I am sure a moderator or two will chime in that probably will answer your questions better.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

Thanks.

I am completely familiar w/ dos, and have used unix quite a bit in the past. I never cared for windows, so have no problem w/ command line interface.

I have an online store and had no problem learning php, mysql, html & css this past year.

This is a part time deal - my day job is a Structural Engineer.

This is my thought - I would have no problem paying someone for an hour or ?? to let me know exactly what I need to know in order to use an unmanaged system.

Going back to my original post, I can't figure out where to put the websites, how to use the control panel, etc. If someone could help w/ that part, as well as what needs to be done for security, I would probably be ok.

I really think I'm only missing a little bit of required knowledge here, and would be happy to pay a bit to have someone talk me through it.

Found this on an old thread at webhostingtalk.com:

"Just so everyone is clear. The VPSLink control panel is for managing your OS and your install, not for setting up sites. We have DirectAdmin and ServerCP licenses available for managing users/sites."

Looks like I'm looking in the control panel for something that's not there. Can someone comment on the above? Do I need to request a license for one of the above? Sounds like that might get me started. By the way, I'm used to cpanel.

Thanks.

Hello again. Please keep in mind vpslink is an unamanged vps provider.

The control panels you listed such as directadmin, cpanel requires minimum vps requirements. In vpslink's case they offer cpanel license for a "monthly" additional cost as it's not free for providers. The minimum requirement is 256mb xen or 512mb openvz and you are responsible for installing it and there is no support except directly from cpanel itself.

You can use a free and widely used control panel called "webmin" and you can install it by searching for install directions for your particular flavor of linux.

In either case control panels that you install for your vps does not reflect a true server management that you are responsible for.

I appreciate your replies. Looks like I just need to go to a managed system for now, until I find time to do some reading on server setup and maintanence. I assume vpslink will provide a refund as I paid for a full year, but have only had the service about a week. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast