Thread: Upgrading to Hardy LTS

Default Upgrading to Hardy LTS

I currently have a level 4 VPS running Ubuntu 6.0.6 LAMP.

Since it looks like you guys are no longer working on the latest release of the Ubuntu LTS and I really need to upgrade PHP to 5.2.4 or better, it seems like the best way to do that is as follows:

1. Purchase the least expensive VPS for a month or so just for storage.
    2. Backup all my relevant files and copy to them to the new storage VPS.
    3. Install Hardy 8.0.4 LTS LAMP
    4. Copy back all my relevant files and reconfigure the server so it works again.
    5. Cancel the other VPS

I suppose I could use a drop box account, but I really want the transfer to be as quick as possible. Because I'm really only working with php files and mysql databases, it shouldn't take more than an afternoon to complete this upgrade. I host DNS and mail elsewhere.

Does this sound like a good plan? Any thoughts on Xen vs. OpenVZ?

Apparently, I can upgrade to 10.0.4 LAMP even thought it's not reflected here or on the main site so that would definitely be where I'd want to go.
    Last edited by ultimate; 07-05-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Xen is a para-virtualisation platform that gives you much of the dedicated server behaviour. OpenVZ is an operating-system level virtualisation system that is just a thin layer on top of the underlying OS.

Any performance differences between Xen and OpenVZ that I should consider in choosing one over the other? What about OS upgrades? I seem to remember that you couldn't upgrade an OpenVZ's Ubuntu OS...

You seem to be new to a vps so I would suggest xen since the performance bonus of openvz will be negated if you don't prevent your services from going beyond your allocated memory. The swap will serve as additional memory with performance penalty when used.

You can compile php version of your choice if your repository does not have the version you need.

For a vps you should avoid full version linux upgrades and even in local environments you need due diligence in upgrading full versions as there can be many complications.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

Quote Originally Posted by Cwewmpz View Post
    You seem to be new to a vps so I would suggest xen since the performance bonus of openvz will be negated if you don't prevent your services from going beyond your allocated memory. The swap will serve as additional memory with performance penalty when used.
    Actually, I've had a very reliable openvz VPS here for almost four years. I was able to install the Ubuntu 10.0.4 i386 LAMP container and for the most part have it back up and running, but now I have a problem, perhaps the thing you pointed out, where I'm leaking memory until I get this...

Code:
    bash: fork: Cannot allocate memory
    I think this mostly cropped up after I installed the curl-php library and it does seem as though Apache is leaking memory because if I stop it, then all memory gets reclaimed. This is the command that I used to install php5-curl.

Code:
    apt-get upgrade php5-curl --fix-missing
    I'm not even sure how I would switch from openvz to xen, but it was working fine under the earlier container so I guess I'll just figure out what the problem is.

I've been able to solve the problem for now by throttling back the number of Apache processes to what I had under Ubuntu 6.0.4, but I still haven't been able to install ftp5-curl. I'll have to save this problem for another day or until the server becomes unresponsive and it starts consuming more of my time.

unfortunately if you gone through the apache/mysql/php guides on memory optimization you would have to upgrade your memory or switch to xen as vpslink openvz packages do not have burst.

I honestly still have problems getting apache/mysql site working well on a busy site without at least 756mb with swap/burst. I would suggest using something like nginx if possible.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink