Thread: VPS service

Default VPS service

Hello there,

I am looking for a cheap alternative to vpn. i was thinking about dedicated servers,but it is expensive. to give you an idea now i have a vpn service with $55 per year. i want to know what is the difference between dedicated server and vps.is it same as dedicated server where i can RDP the server and use it as a desktop or no.please help. basically i want to be able to connect to a machine and browse the internet. lately vpn port is blocked in my country and i am looking for alternatives.

cheers
    Zolf

when you say rdp the server... you generally mean microsoft. vpslink only provide linux vps. You however can install whichever vpn and port you want but it will usually be command line as a gui on linux will require much more memory.

A dedicated server just means a physical computer whose resources is all yours to use. A vps (virtual private server) usually means several emulated computers in ONE physical computer where you share the resources like disk access.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

thanks for your comment.how will i connect to the vps server from my laptop for e.g. and can i browse the internet from the vps server.

thanks

hello again. vpslink is an unmanaged vps provider. Installation and configuration is up to the user. You may choose to use a vpn service or a managed vps provider if you are not comfortable with that.

Installation of a vpn is pretty standard on a vps however. You can do an internet search of "vpn vps install"; you can add "centos", "debian", or whichever your os is and go from there.

Keep in mind to use secure passwords and you are responsible for the security of your vps.
    Good Luck.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

thanks for your comment. tell m esomething,if i buy vps link 1,can i RDP it and use it as a desktop for e.g. surf the internet

Quote Originally Posted by zaj View Post
    thanks for your comment. tell m esomething,if i buy vps link 1,can i RDP it and use it as a desktop for e.g. surf the internet
    No. rdp requires a gui. the recommended in a link 4 unless you know what you are doing.

you can use a link 1 xen to install pptp or openvpn and surf through it however.