Thread: Help VPN pptp (no network access)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Help VPN pptp (no network access)

# Solved =D

Hi everyone,
    I'm fairly new to this and I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong or left out. Anyway here's what I did in order to setup my pptp vpn on ubuntu.

1. apt-get install pptpd
    2. vi /etc/pptpd.conf
    changed localip to my server's eth0 ip and remoteip to 192.168.2.234-238,192.168.2.245 and uncommented both lines
    3. vi /etc/ppp/chap-secret
    Added username server and password and ip as *
    4. vi /etc/sysctl.conf
    made sure net.ipv4.ip_forward=1 and uncommented it.
    5. vi /etc/ppp/options
    modify and uncommented lines ms-dns, changed it to "ms-dns 8.8.8.8" and "ms-dns 8.8.4.4" (google's free DNS)
    6. /etc/init.d/pptpd restart
    7. iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
    8. reboot

through windows 7 vpn network setup I’ve manage to connect and login to my created vpn the only thing is that windows is saying that there is no internet access from my vpn's side.

Thanks =D

Edit :

Ok, I solved my issue which is bascally step 8.
    When i rebooted the server, step 7 iptables routing do not save therefore after every reboot i'll have to re-enter that line in root/shh.

I'm wondering is there a way to permernantly keep the masquerade routing in effect even after a server restart? Thanks!
    Last edited by nepkerl; 12-16-2011 at 05:22 PM.

sorry for the late response but you just put that command in an init.d file.

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

you can also put it in an existing init.d file if you like.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink