Thread: New kernel?

Default New kernel?

Any idea when the Xen Linux kernel '2.6.18-128.7.1.el5xen #1 SMP Mon Aug 24 10:08:55 EDT 2009 i686 GNU/Linux' gets upgraded to something that isn't 3 years old? I'm starting to hit roadblocks on my Debian upgrades because of the really old kernel version.

Did you recently install your VPS (last 20 days)? If so, you should have gotten the newer kernel. You can also contact support to have them reboot your VPS into the latest kernel (2.6.18-238.9.1.el5xen).
    Note: my views are my own and do not reflect those of VPSLink

what issues might I ask? there's only a few specific kernel specific applications that would require using native or custom kernel to install.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

2.6.18-238.9.1.el5xen ?!? That's just the same Linux kernel with a different Xen patch level! What about actual Linux kernel upgrades? I'm getting errors with simple stuff like libc6_2.13-24_i386:

WARNING: this version of the GNU libc requires kernel version
    2.6.26 or later. Please upgrade your kernel before installing
    glibc.

My dpkg and locales are having trouble installing, and are already partially broke. Also, udev has been un-upgradable for YEARS because of the kernel version.

The stable version of the Linux kernel is 2.6.39.4 on the 2.6 branch, and 3.2.2 on the 3.2 branch. You guys are WAAAAAY behind! The 2.6.18 branch was release 4 years ago! Keep up with the upgrades! I can't risk having some script kiddie hacking the server because I can't maintain my security upgrades!

i agree the kernel is old in a ways but from the xen source. 2.6.18 is the latest kernel that support the older xenlinux compatibility so it's stable. In regards to glibc you just need to enable it to work with the older kernel.

Have not experienced the dpkg and locals issue as it shouldn't be an issue (at least none that i experienced.)

I agree a newer kernel should be available for development purposes but in a stable hosting environment it's not old at all.

Just to illustrate that it's not an old kernel I've uname from another provider and their kernel in openvz utilizing soluslabs is: 2.6.18-238.9.1.el5.028stab089.1 #1 SMP Thu Apr 14 14:06:01 MSD 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

It's pretty standard kernel.
    Last edited by Cwewmpz; 01-27-2012 at 05:27 PM. Reason: added note.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

It's still four years old, even if you put in some extra Xen-related patches in the code. And I also have a box from another provider happily running 2.6.38.2.

I can't just "make glibc work" with the new kernel. If it gives me a fatal error that says I can't finish my upgrade, I'm stuck. Heck, I'm getting segfaults during the apt-get upgrade process, which is already partially installed. My whole apt environment is basically f**ked, since I can't even downgrade the affected packages properly.

That's Xen 3.x; what about the Xen 4.0 dom0 kernels? Do you have any support for Xen 4.0 (or 4.1)?

SineSwiper,we have more kernels available. The kernel installed on a VPS container depends on when it was installed, and what OS was selected for the install.

If you would like to select a different kernel please send me a PM with your container details.

good to know there's a solution that hopefully satisfies sineswiper.

Does this mean we can get pvgrub or pygrub soon so we can load our own kernels? This would be great.