Thread: Upgrading Debian

Question Upgrading Debian

Anyone know if it's possible to upgrade Debian 5.0 to Debian 6.0?

I'd bet it's the same as it ever was and we're stuck without an upgrade path because of the fixed kernel.

The problem is now, that lenny is not supported anymore. I can't even get security fixes.

EDIT: Oh, and that's a dealbreaker, especially with this new mysql exploit.

you've bumped up a pretty old post. upgrading a vps from one full release to another is never recommended. however setting up the services should not take more than 2 hours unless it's very complex in which case you would not upgrade your os without some backup/testing.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

Quote Originally Posted by Cwewmpz View Post
    you've bumped up a pretty old post. upgrading a vps from one full release to another is never recommended. however setting up the services should not take more than 2 hours unless it's very complex in which case you would not upgrade your os without some backup/testing.
    I didn't bump anything. Even though it's 4 months old, it's the newest thread in the debian forum.

What do you mean by 'setting up the services'? Are you saying you have new kernels available, or ones that would work with newer versions of debian?

in the reinstall os options it shows debian 6 and debian 5 but only for 32bit os.
    per the announcements forum. debian 6 been available for over a year now.

setting up services as in your webserver/ftp/etc.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink