Thread: Slow transfer speeds with SCP

Question Slow transfer speeds with SCP

I am getting extremely low transfer speeds using SCP protocol with WinSCP. I'm talking like 6kb/s.

Can anyone provide any advise on this? I've done some searching but posts come up old. I am running CentOS LAMP 5.4.

Hi Klack, what VPSLink package do you have? SSH also relies on CPU and memory heavily for handling the encryption/decryption of packets

Also, what kind of connection do you have at the client end? SSH is sensitive to latency and packet loss issues.

You might also try switching the encryption algorithm used, I saw Blowfish suggested somewhere. It will likely reduce security level of the transmission, but it will still have basic level encryption.

- Chris

My service is VPSLink - Link 4. I've tried Blowfish, I don't see heavy cpu use with top, however memory of 512 is about full.

On the client end is 25MB down 5MB up, and I have achieved good results to other destinations.

I've since restarted and am showing 400MB memory free but still getting 9 kilobytes per second upload.

Out of curiosity, what speeds do you get via http or ftp transfer methods?

Try a little test to see if your VPS is experiencing any connectivity issues, run this:
    It should download around 9-10MB/s
    Note: my views are my own and do not reflect those of VPSLink

can you try another version of winscp or a different app entirely?
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink