Thread: Is VPS Right for Me?

Question Is VPS Right for Me?

I am pretty new to all this - all I know is that I am very dissatisfied with my shared hosting. I am trying to build a Drupal site, and the database coughs, chokes, and wheezes. After much research, I found out the performance lag was due to server end, not my end on Drupal or PHP. After getting one timed out query after another, I realized I wasn't permitted to change MySQL server variables (I think the one was called max_packet_size?) to remedy the problem.

I work for a non-profit, so budget is tight. We have a very cheap plan on HostMonster currently. Here are my questions:

1. Not being an expert, can I use this? I don't really care about configuring too much as long as my Drupal site runs seamlessly and doesn't time out queries and go down 90% of the time.
    2. Do I have the ability to change all of the SQL variables that would help Drupal perform?
    3. The $6.62/mo, would that be in addition to my current hosting charges at Hostmonster, or instead of? I was under the impression that I would be moving EVERYTHING here and using only this service.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by hannlindahl View Post
    I am pretty new to all this - all I know is that I am very dissatisfied with my shared hosting. I am trying to build a Drupal site, and the database coughs, chokes, and wheezes. After much research, I found out the performance lag was due to server end, not my end on Drupal or PHP. After getting one timed out query after another, I realized I wasn't permitted to change MySQL server variables (I think the one was called max_packet_size?) to remedy the problem.

I work for a non-profit, so budget is tight. We have a very cheap plan on HostMonster currently. Here are my questions:

1. Not being an expert, can I use this? I don't really care about configuring too much as long as my Drupal site runs seamlessly and doesn't time out queries and go down 90% of the time.
    2. Do I have the ability to change all of the SQL variables that would help Drupal perform?
    3. The $6.62/mo, would that be in addition to my current hosting charges at Hostmonster, or instead of? I was under the impression that I would be moving EVERYTHING here and using only this service.

Thank you!
    1. I guess it depends on how comfortable you are working with the commandline.

2. Yes

3. Instead off. However I will warn you the Link-1 is probably not sufficient for your needs. I would highly recommend a Xen based Link-3.
    Note: my views are my own and do not reflect those of VPSLink

drupal coughs because a normal standard drupal site requires a minimum 512mb ram without tweaking. in shared hosting it only seems speedier with a few visitors however the shared database will quickly degrade performance.

vps generally is not right for you if you plan to host a large drupal site with no prior experience however it's fine if you are experienced and can probably even tweak it to perform well on 256mb ram but only for mainly static sites.

I suppose you can buy a modest vps and set it up for your database ONLY but the distance between sever hosting your drupal should not be too far from vpslink servers. Hope that answers your question.

vps is not shared hosting. a vps requires you to install everything within the resources your purchased. the 6.62/mo vps which has one cpu core and 64mb ram will have problem running with a standard configuration apache/php and that does not include the database service you need running to host a cms like drupal.
    Happily on a Link3. Feel free to request a refferal code that takes a 10% lifetime discount off your hosting.
    Please open a SUPPORT TICKET AND CALL vpslink to resolve your vpslink problems FIRST
    I am a CUSTOMER Only. Any vpslink issues should be directed to Matt@VPSLink and/or Michael@VPSLink

are ram and cpu shared in a VPS?

Hi Axxo, you have a dedicated amount of RAM to your VPS, as well as a certain approximate share of the host's CPU. I've found VPSLink to be a good platform for my own VPS. I'm running a Link-5 VPS, and I'm running, mail/web/spam filtering/etc.. I did have to tweak my settings to be more efficient with RAM as I'm running Apache - which is a resource hog when running the full LAMP stack. I hope this helps.