Thread: Opening ports

Default Opening ports

this is a technical question.

I'm trying to host a java application on my VPS. The Java source code is this: pastebin com/1Pm3iqdx

What it does, is that it creates a socket on a specified port allowing users to connect to that specific port through a telnet prompt. I can host it just fine on my own PC and connect as expected.

The app listens on port 10834.

Code:
    [root@tobiass ~]# netstat -a
    Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address               Foreign Address             State
    tcp        0      0 *:ssh                       *:*                         LISTEN
    tcp        0      0 localhost:smtp              *:*                         LISTEN
    tcp        0      0 tobiass.vpslink.com:ssh     0x573bec04.henqu2.dyna:6257 ESTABLISHED
    tcp        0      0 tobiass.vpslink.com:ssh     0x573bec04.henqu2.dyna:6423 ESTABLISHED
    tcp        0     52 tobiass.vpslink.com:ssh     0x573bec04.henqu2.dyna:boks ESTABLISHED
    tcp        0      0 *:10834                     *:*                         LISTEN
    tcp        0      0 *:ssh                       *:*                         LISTEN
    tcp        0      0 localhost:smtp              *:*                         LISTEN
    When I telnet to my VPS address at that port, the connection is refused. Are the ports closed or...?

I had to edit iptables to allow connections on my apps port.