Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LXAdmin install how-to?

Default LXAdmin install how-to?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had a how-to for installing LxAdmin and also if it's very secure to use?

I have Link3 and I just installed CentOS HostInABox. What are the steps I have to take after that?

What address do I enter in the browser to access LXAdmin?

Thanks

galbilover,

you don't have to install anything if you choose the host-in-a-box image: LxAdmin is there ready to go.

Just type in your browser http://yourhostname.com:7778 or https://yourhostname.com:7777 (a secured ssl connection) or use your IP address:7778 and you will get the LXadmin login mask: the first time use user ->admin and password->admin, you must change the password at the first login.

I suggest that you play with lxadmin for a while, just to see what you can do and where are located the various settings. Start updating the Lxadmin version: this morning ver.5.0 has been released, go to 'Update Home' and it will suggest you the more recent version to update to.

Consider that Lxadmin is enough stable for a private use (personal site, blog, wiki and so on), as well as the product is well architected so you will see that there are plenty of update, fixes and improvements every day and so you'll find updates every day.

I suggest you to subscribe to lxlabs forum too.

As what concerns security, I saw little things that I want to investigate better, but consider that a few of them disappear even before I can test and report them to lxlabs: it's a young product, but seems it works fine.

@vpslinkdotcom:
    what about publishing the lxadmin manual I typed? It could be useful for first steps.

Have fun

borgo

Thanks for the mini tutorial. LXAdmin looks very nice.

How would I install apache on HostInABox?

Also, I am actually developing a ecommerce site. Is that one of the types of sites that you don't recommend using LXAdmin with?
    Last edited by galbilover; 07-25-2007 at 03:16 AM.

LxAdmin comes with Lighttpd preinstalled: it's a light web server that works fine in most cases.
    Otherwise you can switch to Apache from inside lxadmin (remember, the switch works for all the domains hosted inside your vps, you can't have some domains with apache and some with lighttpd):
    1. login as 'admin'
    2. click on the 'server tab'
    3. on the box 'server linux' click on 'switch program'
    4. make your choice for the web server you prefer
    5. lxadmin will convert conf files appropriately and install apache automatically
    6. wait a few minutes to let lxadmin do this and to restart the new server
    7. you can check which http server is running choosing 'component info' in the 2nd box 'services' of the 'server home' page

Is that one of the types of sites that you don't recommend using LXAdmin with?
    For security? No, that's not what I meant in my previous msg.

Instead you can use one of those well know ecommerce packages that you can install ready-to-go from inside lxadmin (I must admit that this is the real reason I'm evaluating lxadmin: something that you can give in a snap to a customer or a internal project manager: 126 packages of well known software)
    1. click on the domain tab and then on the domain under which you want to install your ecomm sw
    2. In the 5th box click on 'InstallApp'
    3. Spend your time in testing the product you prefer (126 right now, 14 only for ecommerce

As you see it's not trivial to manage all the possibilities lxadmin gives you.

Have fun

borgo

so LXadmin is not supported under ubuntu?

No, only CentOS and RedHat are supported.

Remember that here VPSlink gives you a preconfigured CentOS 4 + Lxadmin image for your vps.
    If you choose to install it on your vps you get the operating system, the control panel, a web server, a mail server, a pop/imap server, a dns server: all of them already installed and started.

borgo

i'm planning to switch from lighty to apache on a running vps with a couple of sites.. is it necessary to fully backup all information or switch will migrate all my files untouched?

thanks!

As a system administration best practice, we recommend that you back up any files which you wish to retain whenever you make any changes to your VPS.

Please see our Backups category on the VPSLink Wiki for backup process suggestions.

Hi, I have a VPS with hostinginabox installed. Including Lxadmin. I am trying to install apache by using the switch. It will not work. Below is a screenshot of what happens. It also says that the Apache package isn't installed. Sorry about the blackness on the right, i've got dual screen enabled. If you guys can please help me get Apache (httpd) working instead of Lighty, I'd like that. Thanks!

(I would have put screenshots on here, but it says that I'm not allowed until 15 posts or more.)

but, email me for the screenshots:

msburgess3200@hotmail.com

OR

x-wing@windstream.net

Thanks in advance,

-Sky

What VPS plan and platform are you on? Maybe it's running out of memory trying to do the switch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast