Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LXAdmin and DNS

Default LXAdmin and DNS

We've received a couple of tickets regarding managing DNS using the new LXAdmin control panel, so I just wanted to clarify that the DNS tools in the LXAdmin panel do not connect to the ns1.vpslink.com and ns2.vpslink.com nameservers. If you want to use our nameservers for your domains you will need to use the DNS tool at the cp.vpslink.com control panel.

The LXAdmin control panel connects to an instance of djbdns on your server. You can use LXAdmin if you are planning to run your own nameservers.

Hey Andrew,

Can you provide more specific (detailed) step-by-step instructions on what to do? I am having the damnedest time figuring it out. It may be helpful for someone else as well.

I've been ditched by my server guy and left to fend for myself. I can pick up things pretty quickly but I'm having a hard time with this. I've got the link 4 with 3 IPs and I want to setup custom nameservers as ns1, ns2 (and ns3 if necessary) as ns*.mydomain.com

I would like to know precisely what I need to do in both LXAdmin AND cp.vpslink.com as necessary to get these up and running.

Thanks,
    Scott

Hi Scott,

Let's assume that you have 3 IP addresses (IP1, IP2, IP3) and a domain name (mydomain.com).

1. Go to your domain name registrar, and register your name servers. In Namecheap it is under "Nameserver Registration". In GoDaddy it is under "Host Summary", where you can set ns1.mydomain.com to IP1, ns2.mydomain.com to IP2, etc. Sorry not sure about other registrars.

2. Log into LxAdmin as "admin".

3. Go to "Server", click on "IP Addresses" and then click on "Re Read Ipaddresses" to make sure LxAdmin can see all 3 IP addresses you have.

4. Go to "Home", and then click on "DNS Template". Click on "Add DNS Template". Now you can use the following values:

DNS Template Name: Default
    Web Ipaddress: IP1
    Mail Ipaddress: IP1
    Primary DNS: ns1.mydomain.com
    Secondary DNS: ns2.mydomain.com

5. Now you can go to "Domain" in LxAdmin and start adding new domains to host. Name servers for those domains will be ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com which you need to set at the registrar.

cp.vpslink.com is not needed as you are running your own DNS on your VPS.

Scott

Thanks Scott,

I did steps 1 and 4 over the weekend without any luck. Maybe LXA is not reading all IP addresses. However, when going into "Admin" as you stated, I do not see any option for "IP Addresses". I looked under all tabs, including the advanced tab.

I'm guessing that's the issue though. Any ideas?

You mean step 3? It should be under the tab "Server" (between Files and Clients). Then you will see it inside the first box "Server: linux"

Ok, there it is! It was initially only reading one IP address. Now it is reading all three. I'll do some more work on this over the weekend and see if I can get it working again. Thanks for your help

I'll keep you posted.

So, becuase LXAdmin only asks for two nameservers, I should only setup 2 nameservers with GoDaddy, correct? What two of the three IP addresses should I use? The first two?

Thanks,
    Scott

It is up to you. The first two would be fine. Just make sure they are consistent on GoDaddy's name server registration and your LxAdmin configuration.

Well, it seems like no matter what I try, it's still a no-go. Not sure what to do. I've already paid for a year of service.

What's the specific problem or error you're facing at this point? I'm pretty sure that these errors can be overcome, it may take some additional time and effort, however.

Please post an update with the errors you're encountering, or a description of what you've done and what the current state is for the domain or domains you're trying to configure.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast