Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LXAdmin and DNS

Well I've tried with multiple domains. I setup 3 nameservers for each of my 3 IP addresses, which I was required to do in GoDaddy's control panel.

ns1, ns2, ns3.domain.net using the same three IP addresses that were re-read in lxadmin as per scotty's instructions.

I created a DNS template for use with the domains I wished to setup:

Notice, it only has an option for ns1 and ns2.

Then I updated the domains (for example domain.com) with the ns1 and ns2 (decided to skip the ns3 and see what would happen)...

After approx 48 hours, still nothing is happening. I'm pretty puzzled... Again, I've never done server administration like this. My admin ditched me.
    Last edited by purefusion; 10-05-2007 at 01:20 AM.

According to whois.domaintools.com, it is seeing the LXAdmin default page. I guess that means it works, just having an issue getting to it from my PC.

Question: in the above screenshot, it looks like the MX record is invalid. Can someone confirm if that's right, wrong or doesn't it matter? I want to make sure email works too!

Thanks,
    Scott
    Last edited by purefusion; 08-21-2007 at 07:06 PM.

It does look incorrect in the screenshot above, though when I actually look it up in a query, it returns correctly:

scottrageous.net. 86400 IN MX 0 scottrageous.net.

That response appears accurate, and it is resolving (here anyway) to the IP listed in your screenshot above.

Any way I can speed up the process of seeing the sites I've set up on my computer? I've tried the command: ipconfig /flushdns but it's not helping.

The easiest way would be to set your computer to use your vps ip's as nameservers, rather than your isp's nameservers.

Can you point me in the direction on how to do this? I haven't done anything like it before. What are the considerations for doing it? I travel from hotspot to hotspot every day.

so if I am not using my own nameservers but still using LXA I jsut add the ns1/ns2.vpslink.com URLs - is that correct? Do other domains which I am adding to my VPS need to be added to the DNS in the VPSLink cp?

If you're not hosting the DNS on your VPS, then you will need to add the domains in the vpslink cp and set the nameservers on the domains to ns1/2.vpslink.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd@VPSlink View Post
    If you're not hosting the DNS on your VPS, then you will need to add the domains in the vpslink cp and set the nameservers on the domains to ns1/2.vpslink.com.
    Yes but what about the DNS template setup in LX? It wont let you add a domain without setting it up first but surely its not needed if using the VPSlink DNS

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    Hi Scott,

Let's assume that you have 3 IP addresses (IP1, IP2, IP3) and a domain name (mydomain.com).

DNS Template Name: Default
    Web Ipaddress: IP1
    Mail Ipaddress: IP1
    Primary DNS: ns1.mydomain.com
    Secondary DNS: ns2.mydomain.com

Scott
    So what happens with the other 2 IP addresses?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast