Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LXAdmin and DNS

Quote Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
    Yes but what about the DNS template setup in LX? It wont let you add a domain without setting it up first but surely its not needed if using the VPSlink DNS
    You need to put a DNS template in to LX because it still thinks you're hosting DNS with it instead of VPSLink's servers. It doesn't really matter what you put for the template as it's not going to be used for anything in the end.
    Last edited by Doug; 10-24-2007 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    You need to put a DNS template in to LX because it still thinks you're hosting DNS with it instead of VPSLink's servers. It doesn't really matter what you put for the template as it's not going to be used for anything in the end.

Yep - thats what I thought and yes it works fine. The only problem is that every domain I add has to be manually entered in the VPSLink dns.

I probably need to setup my own nameservers so that a new domain name in LX automatically adds that domain to the nameserver. I've tried this but never got it working correctly. nslookup tells me the domain name and it resolves to my IP address but from the web the domain name just never resolves. (the NS is set as ns1.mydomain.com) at the registrar.

I probably need to setup my own nameservers so that a new domain name in LX automatically adds that domain to the nameserver. I've tried this but never got it working correctly. nslookup tells me the domain name and it resolves to my IP address but from the web the domain name just never resolves. (the NS is set as ns1.mydomain.com) at the registrar.
    If you are using LxAdmin, aren't you already having your own nameservers running? You should only use VPSLink's DNS servers if you don't already run your own nameservers, but LxAdmin comes with its own name servers (djbdns) listening on all IPs of your VPS.

So ignore Todd@VPSLink and anything about DNS at VPSLink -- just focus on LxAdmin and your own DNS servers

As of testing out propagation, I think the easiest way is to use OpenDNS as your own resolver. Check them out here

http://www.opendns.com/

They are caching/recursive DNS servers, but has a web interface to let to "flush the cache", which I found very convenient when you move sites around. They have instructions on their website on how to set it up on your computer.

That is the theory - I should have my own nameservers with LX but try as I might I've never got them working. So far the VPSLink DNS is the only way I have got a site to be visible to the WEB. Does anyone know of a detailed set of instructions to get djbdns working with LXadmin? I tried the instructions here but no luck.

That is the theory - I should have my own nameservers with LX but try as I might I've never got them working. So far the VPSLink DNS is the only way I have got a site to be visible to the WEB. Does anyone know of a detailed set of instructions to get djbdns working with LXadmin? I tried the instructions here but no luck.
    Well. I certainly have my DNS and LxAdmin working on my Link3 here so I guess it's a bit more than just a theory

What is your domain? If you have already added to LxAdmin, your own DNS server should be able to handle to already. PM me if you want, and I can take a look for you.

still trying to solve this one. pingability gives me the following error

Got an error when connecting to ns1.gingercat.net.nz/64.79.218.242 with a request for ns2.gingercat.net.nz/CNAME: Socket Timeout Exception: Socket timeout on name server 64.79.218.242. null

It works out of the box.... you do need to create a dns template first though, then each site you create after that you select the template you made. You can also make several templates for different situations.

Check your dns template and make sure it's in order, then run this command from the command line.

/scripts/fixweb this will fix or re-write all the web config files for each domain.

It turns out my problem was due to not having the nameservers registered with my domain registrar. It seems many registrars have this as an option on your domain name control panel. Mine doesn't - so as it wasn't an option I didn't realise it needed to be done. In my case I need to contact the registrar to register nameservers.

Thank you! I have been having problems with setting my name servers for domains registered with godaddy. A search led me to http://help.godaddy.com/article.php?...rog_id=GoDaddy. Following those steps, I was able to register a name server in the .eu domain, and am now able to use this name server for other TLDs.

This process is not at all intuitive...
    Charles Haley
    www.haleys.eu/chaley

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast