Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: LXAdmin and DNS

I have a sort of odd situation. I followed the guide to set up lxadmin and all, got a main domain working, and also set up a second domain so that it's the only one at one of my three ip's. All of that worked fine. Then I added a couple of domains under the main account, after having set up the appropriate nameservers with my registrar. One of these domains doesn't respond at all yet - not too surprising. The other one, though, keeps trying to resolve to test-my.spry.com - even though both domains have the same set-up. Not sure why that is. Hoping it'll all work out in the end.

Matt

Okay, just to make sure I got this straight so I don't waste too much time in the process...

I have a domain name, we will use 'example.com' registered with GoDaddy. Freshly registered, no name server info tied to them yet.

I set up a VPS using LXadmin and configure ns1.example.com on my first IP address (LINK 4), and ns2.example.com on my second IP.

As big of a geek as I am, the whole DNS thing still confuses me. Will just this simple process make the domain name work (after a few hours/days)? not sure how the full propagation of DNS information work so some enlightenment would be great.

UPDATE: okay, so I followed the instructions step by step at the start of this thread. I set up the VPS, did the admin setup for LXadmin, followed steps 1 thru 4 listed in this thread, went to godaddy and added the ns1.example.com domains to the name server listing and GoDaddy reported back the error: "The Nameserver Is Not Registered"
    Last edited by macharborguy; 04-24-2009 at 10:09 PM. Reason: first attempt went weird

Quote Originally Posted by macharborguy View Post
    UPDATE: okay, so I followed the instructions step by step at the start of this thread. I set up the VPS, did the admin setup for LXadmin, followed steps 1 thru 4 listed in this thread, went to godaddy and added the ns1.example.com domains to the name server listing and GoDaddy reported back the error: "The Nameserver Is Not Registered"
    You have to "register" the nameservers with godaddy. Somewhere in the domain panel, add host entries for NS1.yourdomain.com and NS2.yourdomain.com.

There's no reason for DNS propagation to take more than 5-10minutes (in the US).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234