Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gentoo, GCC 4.1.1, and VPSLink2

Default Gentoo, GCC 4.1.1, and VPSLink2

I finally managed to get my VPSLink2 server completely updated to GCC 4.1.1 and completely rebuilt.

To make a long story short: it's NOT possible on a VPSLink2. You cannot recompile GCC or libstdc++-v3-3.3.4 on VPSLink2. The compile crashes with an out-of-memory error, even after turning off EVERYTHING other than SSHD. All the other packages I have built (apache, mysql, perl, php, etc...) are fine, it's just those two. I ended up rebuilding those on my VPSLink4 with the --buildpkg option and transfering the binary package over to the VPSLink2 and installed that way.

Anyway, I've VERY impressed by the VPSLink servers. Completely rebuilding (emerge -e world type thing) was very quick for being on shared servers. Just thought I'd warn people about Gentoo on the VPSLink2's. If the VPSLink2's had a burst ram capability, it could be completely usable.

(I don't consider the Link1's usable for Gentoo as there isn't enough drive space for the portage tree along with everything else. Even if you use distccd to offload the compiling (cannot be done for the above two packages either), the portage tree sucks up too much of the space. After building everything I need, I'm using 1.6GB of space, that wouldn't leave much for real data.)

Dan

Dan,

Thanks for the message. Looks very imformative. I will try and have someone put this on the wiki this week.

Cameron

Anyway, I've VERY impressed by the VPSLink servers. Completely rebuilding (emerge -e world type thing) was very quick for being on shared servers.
    As others have pointed out...these servers are fairly empty right now so compiles, etc will seem fast - there isn't anyone competing for those resources yet.

While I haven't compiled gcc 4.x on my Link 3 plan, I have done both gcc 3.x and libstdc without any issues.

I think Link3's are fine. While trying to debug this, I was monitoring the user_beancounters on my Link4 while compiling gcc and it seemed to jump to about 160-180M. Thus, if you don't have a lot of stuff running on a Link3 (like a poorly configured mysql or similar), it should work fine there.

The Link2's are the problem (as are the Link1's). I'd love to see if we enabled a 192MB memory burst on the Link2's if they would then be usable. I'd be happy to test that out if someone from VPSLink wants to try it. :-)

Dan

I'd love to see if we enabled a 192MB memory burst on the Link2's if they would then be usable. I'd be happy to test that out if someone from VPSLink wants to try it. :-)
    Then it wouldn't really be a link2

That is the tradeoff of using gentoo...

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Kulp
    I think Link3's are fine. While trying to debug this, I was monitoring the user_beancounters on my Link4 while compiling gcc and it seemed to jump to about 160-180M. Thus, if you don't have a lot of stuff running on a Link3 (like a poorly configured mysql or similar), it should work fine there.
    Yup. I was mainly just tossing that statement in for the record in case someone is looking at this to decide a plan.

I guess I should also note that I have a really light setup going on with just a basic lighttpd/fast-cgi-php and postfix.

It would be nice if vpslink could offer a latest (gcc4/glibc2.4) gentoo image.

As a matter of fact, I have a "pristine" tarball that has:
    gcc-4.1.1
    glibc-2.4 with nptlonly
    baselayout-vserver-1.12.1
    All packages are recompiled with gcc 4.1.1 and glibc 2.4

If vpslink is interested, I can work with them to make this image available.

Well, now that the 4.1 series is stable I was going to try and upgrade, but I can't get it to compile under any circumstance on a link3 plan. Anyone have any luck (besides resorting to distcc)?

Hmm. I am trying to upgrade to GCC 4.1.1 under Link3 as well. None works with all methods I have tried (ulimit, ggc parameters, distcc). I might need to build binary package on another box then...

The issue is with the way gcc is build. It will first build from source using the existing gcc, and will compile itself again using the new binary. The first stage is okay - ggc parameters or distcc feature will be honoured. However it does not work in the second stage, thus memory exhausted error.

Just wasted my evening trying to figure it out. Oh well...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast