Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gentoo, GCC 4.1.1, and VPSLink2

Quote Originally Posted by scotty
    Just wasted my evening trying to figure it out. Oh well...
    I hate it when that happens. I've compiled 5.1.5 without any problems on a VPSLink2 (I think even without distcc, just using limits). By your description, it sounds like the 4.x codebase is possibly compiled differently. Either way, sorry you didn't have such luck.
    Kelvin Nicholson
    http://www.helomx.com - Blacklist and availability monitoring built from the ground up for outsourced IT providers.

Quote Originally Posted by kelvinn
    I've compiled 5.1.5 without any problems on a VPSLink2.
    Sorry but do you somehow have an unreleased future version of GCC?

So far I haven't had problem compiling anything on a link3 except gcc. Have to use binary package built at home...

Hmm. I am trying to upgrade to GCC 4.1.1

Yes, GCC 5.1.5 was just released... Ok, I was reading too quickly, thanks for being good humored though, and not flaming me back to the stone age
    Kelvin Nicholson
    http://www.helomx.com - Blacklist and availability monitoring built from the ground up for outsourced IT providers.

Guys,

Does a new Gentoo image with a new compiler need to be put together? Let us know if we can help!

whats the real advantage of 4.x vs the precompiled 3.4.5? i heard the 4.x is still somewhat buggy is it true?
    pablasso.com (spanish)

Quote Originally Posted by pablasso
    whats the real advantage of 4.x vs the precompiled 3.4.5? i heard the 4.x is still somewhat buggy is it true?
    Just that 4.1 has been declared "stable" by the Gentoo guys a few days ago. So after portage files got synchronised, and "emerge system" will automatically try to upgrade the site to GCC 4.1.

Advantage of GCC 4.1? It is supposed to be more "optimised" That's what new version is for, isn't it? But I am not a GCC expert so I have no idea about the details.

You can put ">=sys-devel/gcc-4" in your /etc/portage/package.mask file to prevent emerge system or emerge world from upgrading your GCC.

The same goes with glibc-2.4 that has been declared stable over the last few days. glibc-2.4 is NPTL-only, and requires Linux 2.6.9+. As all VZ nodes are on Linux 2.6.8, you need to edit package.mask to prevent portage from upgrading your libraries.

glibc-2.4 is NPTL-only, and requires Linux 2.6.9+. As all VZ nodes are on Linux 2.6.8, you need to edit package.mask to prevent portage from upgrading your libraries.
    Really? I've been running glibc-2.4 with nptlonly for over a month now... should I be worried?

Quote Originally Posted by vpslinkdotcom
    Guys,

Does a new Gentoo image with a new compiler need to be put together? Let us know if we can help!
    Yes, Gentoo 2006.1 was released last week and includes the newly stable GCC 4.1.1 and glibc 2.4, plus NPTL right out of the box.

The same goes with glibc-2.4 that has been declared stable over the last few days. glibc-2.4 is NPTL-only, and requires Linux 2.6.9+. As all VZ nodes are on Linux 2.6.8, you need to edit package.mask to prevent portage from upgrading your libraries.
    This is incorrect. On Gentoo at least, any system using 2.6.x kernel headers will work with NPTL, including 2.6.8 and earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by jcsix
    This is incorrect. On Gentoo at least, any system using 2.6.x kernel headers will work with NPTL, including 2.6.8 and earlier.
    Well, that could be a possibility.

When I tried to emerge glibc-2.4 a warning message printed out saying NPTL-only requires kernel >= 2.6.9.

From glibc-2.4-r3.ebuild:

Code:
    # (Recent snapshots fails with 2.6.5 and earlier with NPTL)
    NPTL_KERNEL_VERSION=${NPTL_KERNEL_VERSION:-"2.6.9"}
    ebegin "Checking kernel version (>=${NPTL_KERNEL_VERSION})"
    if ! eend $([[ $(get_KV) -ge ${min_kernel_version} ]]) ; then
        echo
        eerror "You need a kernel of at least version ${NPTL_KERNEL_VERSION}"
        eerror "for NPTL support!"
        die "Kernel version too low!"
    fi
    Great if it works for you

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast