Thread: OpenVZ - Processor allocation?

Default OpenVZ - Processor allocation?

From what I have read here and through support the only thing that the VPS shares with other users is the processor usage, other then that OpenVZ allocates the usage of ram, disk space etc on a per VPS basis.

I have looked into this a little and it seems that I am being told by numerous people that the processor usage can be allocated as well.

Is this true? and if so why is this not done here or is it?

http://openvz.org/

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by R1Lover; 08-18-2007 at 03:47 AM.

Honestly, it's often to your advantage to allow floating CPU usage. Why? Because there are always time when some people will need to burst CPU usage while at the same time some VPSs on the same host will be using nearly no CPU usage. If you meter back CPU usage, everyone will have a limited slice of usage, even if the total CPU usage is nearing nothing.

It's only when people abuse this privilege that it becomes an issue.

Thank you for the explanation, I think the main issue is "most" people think of a VPS as their VPS and don't think it will effect others. I agree it would be nice to have full cpu power when needed, although it seems like it's a catch 22 with the node that I'm on at the moment.

What node are you on? I'm on vpsl4-021 and performance in the last few days has gone down the tubes.

Right now I'm on VPSL6-003

After talking with support about it they feel it's better with the processor allocation turned off.

In my experience it's better turned on, but that may be due to the lack of experience of the user on the same box.

Right now I think they turned mine back on as the server loads have been better over the last day and things seem to be back close to normal. There may have been other changes to cause this on there end as it's hard for me to tell 100% what they did.

The loads are still higher then what I was used to, but it's not too bad.
    Last edited by R1Lover; 08-19-2007 at 07:37 PM.