Thread: othersockbuf

Default othersockbuf

I keep getting failcnt on the othersockbuf line in the /proc/user_beancounters file... how can I find out what is causing this? do i even need to worry?

Thanks,

Hello Marcusone,

From OpenVZ documentation, othersockbuf is 'the total size of UNIX-domain socket buffers, UDP, and other datagram protocol send buffers'.

There must be some kind of service on your VPS configured to send data using the UDP protocol (could be DNS, maybe VPN or some type of media stream,...), and the buffer size can't keep up with the amount of data it is trying to send.

Once you will know what is causing it, you will know if you should worry or not...

Here is my bean readout
    othersockbuf 105632 2363192 2684354 5368709
    so most of the time, it is FAR within the limits...
    How can I find out what program is causing such a spike?

I think I might have found the problem... I have sendmail checking dnsbl lists, as well as spamassassin... so that was probably causing a lot of UDP traffic... ops
    I've disabled the one in spamassassin (as sendmail won't accept mail that is on the list anyways).

Thanks for the "tip" on checking DNS

QUESTION: upgrading to Link-5 (will this limit be increased) ? As if I have a busy server, I may still hit this limit!

Here are the values for different plans:

http://wiki.vpslink.com/index.php?ti...guration_files

Very nice! Thanks Jason (again)... now get on updating your monit patch for the new version

Is there really any problem with hitting socket buffer limits? My limited understanding would make me expect that a program would just block on the socket write until it could allocate a buffer. I don't think it would cause program crashes or anything like that.

I'm not a linux programmer, so maybe someone who knows more can correct me on this.
    intelligence is a tool to be used toward a goal, and goals are not always chosen intelligently
    Larry Niven, Protector

Good Question Steve... anyone know? I have yet to see any negative impact due to this error (and it appears my modifications didn't work )

From http://wiki.openvz.org/Othersockbuf#othersockbuf
    Increased limit for othersockbuf is necessary for high performance of communications through local (UNIX-domain) sockets. However, similarly to tcpsndbuf, hitting othersockbuf affects the communication performance only and does not affect the functionality.
    intelligence is a tool to be used toward a goal, and goals are not always chosen intelligently
    Larry Niven, Protector