Thread: Enabling TUN/TAP within your VPS

Default Enabling TUN/TAP within your VPS

Previously it was necessary to ask us to enable the tun device if you wanted to use it within your account. However we have begun making the tun device available for all new accounts. If your account is new enough to be effected by this policy change, you should be able to enable the tun device simply by running the following commands within your vps:
    Code:
    mkdir -p /dev/net
    mknod -m 600 /dev/net/tun c 10 200
    If your account was created before the policy was changed it will still be necessary for us to enable the tun device for you. If the commands above don't work for you please submit a support ticket so that we can check if we need to do this for your account.

Default Then what?

I have been following instructions from a few articles and howtos, but haven't gotten everything completely set up.

I'm currently walking through this one:
    linuxjournal.com/article/7949 (sorry, won't let me post a url yet)

When I go to start up the server, or attempt to make a tun0 by hand, I receive the following:

Sun Dec 30 17:10:40 2007 TUN/TAP device tun0 opened
    Sun Dec 30 17:10:40 2007 Note: Cannot set tx queue length on tun0: Operation not permitted (errno=1)
    Sun Dec 30 17:10:40 2007 Cannot ioctl TUNSETPERSIST(1) tun0: Operation not permitted (errno=1)

The only thing I can think of is that I need to have the tun module running. But `modprobe tun` gives me the following:

FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.18-ovz028stab039.1-smp/modules.dep: No such file or directory

So the question is, what's next after having a /dev/net/tun present?