Thread: Support stopped to answer?

Question Support stopped to answer?

Hello,

I am writting here since my ticket has been left open for days - no reply.

it is:
    Support Ticket #12763608
    Subject: could not boot the server

05/05/2014 10:35 AM EDT Ticket Created

And today is 14 May and the access to my VPS is still not restored.

It is 10th day as the ticket open and all the support team did is just switched the ticket status to "Updated Ticket: Work in Progress"

For my last question: "Hello, please let me know if it is any possible to get it back. Thank you." - I didn't even get reply, now is third day.

Any comments, thank you!

P.S. I am client of VPSlink for about 4 or maybe 5 years (or maybe more).

Hello valager. I'm not an employee of VPSLink, but maybe I can help.

- What error messages are you receiving?
    - Have you tried rebooting the container via the control panel?
    - After rebooting the container, can you ping it?
    - Did you make a change before it went down?
    - Are you running OpenVZ or Xen?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    Hello valager. I'm not an employee of VPSLink, but maybe I can help.

- What error messages are you receiving?
    - Have you tried rebooting the container via the control panel?
    - After rebooting the container, can you ping it?
    - Did you make a change before it went down?
    - Are you running OpenVZ or Xen?
    Hello ChrisW, thank you for the reply and trying to help!

The box just stopped to boot, no ideas why, and long last time were no changes. As I was able to access to Xen shell, I tried to restart/stop/start - no help with it. As I can tell network would not up and stopped the boot so got nothing on ping.

In the ticket they said: "Unfortunately, it has been determined that the container needs to be reinstalled. These errors are encountered during boot.", I asked go ahead and all I need just new container with maybe attached old disk.

But no answer still with any success ... I am fully confused.
    Not sure if I still want to continue with them.

Best regards.

Hi Valager. It sounds like recreating the container and attaching the old disk would likely end up in the same situation, as there is something wrong with your particular installation.

I would recommend reinstalling the container and restoring your data from a working backup.

It's unfortunate it took them so long so respond with this, but there may not be much they can do in this situation. These are unmanaged VPS instances, so they don't control what happens inside the container so long as the host is running properly.

There are some minor functions they can help with, like root password resets, but once they start providing support for more complex issues, it's a very slippery slope and it would quickly make it difficult or impossible for them to provide such a low price.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    Hi Valager. It sounds like recreating the container and attaching the old disk would likely end up in the same situation, as there is something wrong with your particular installation.
    Hi ChrisW,

Yes, you are right, it can be difficult to restore the VPS on same disk but it's not case. We talked with them to install just new instance from scratch and attach old disk just as another/additional disk so, I can mount it to my file system somewhere just to get the access to files/data. And I even not very need it, all I need just new instance and I cannot get it for days.
    Moreover, they turned off my access to XEN shell, so for now I have just nothing. And have only to wait.

Thank you again.