Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching from OpenVZ to Xen

Default Switching from OpenVZ to Xen

Recently, VPSLink unveiled it’s newest offering in the VPS family of products; Xen Virtualized Servers! So far, it’s been a huge success. We are well pleased with the response from our new and existing customers and look forward to continued growth within the product line.

With this new offering, came a flood of existing customers that wished to convert their OpenVZ accounts to Xen. This has created the need to change the way we do things just a bit, so I’m here to outline what you need to do to get that shiny, new Xen account up and going!

First off, allow me to explain that there is no direct migration path from OpenVZ to Xen (or vice versa). Switching to a new virtualization platform is, unfortunately, not as simple as clicking a link, either. If you have data that needs migrated from one platform to another, it will need to be manually migrated.

In order to get a Xen VPS, you need to go about it the old fashioned way… Order the server from the VPSLink web page. If you already have OpenVZ and only have need for one server, you will need to complete a cancellation form to have the second VPS shut down.

**LEGALEESE ALERT!!**
    According to VPSLink policies, refunds are not given for prepaid services. In accordance with said polices, a canceled server will remain active until the end of the current billing cycle.

Neither Sales, nor Billing, nor Technical Support can assist you with setting up a Xen server, nor can they help you to “flip” to a different virtualization platform. If you do ask for it, you’ll most likely be referred to this article.

We’ll make the process as quick and painless as possible for you, but you have to place the order for your new server, plain and simple.
    Thanks for stopping by!
    Last edited by vpslinkdotcom; 10-27-2007 at 04:01 PM.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I'm hearing conflicting policies here.
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyg View Post
    In accordance with said polices, a canceled server will remain active until the end of the current billing cycle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd@VPSlink View Post
    My recommendation would be to place an order for one month of Xen VPS, then once you're up and running on it and certain you no longer need the openvz vps, contact our billing department and request that we apply the unused portion of the pre-paid service for openvz to your xen server. We'll gladly transfer that credit over and extend the Xen account for as long as you wish.
    I just want to make sure I know the actual policy.
    intelligence is a tool to be used toward a goal, and goals are not always chosen intelligently
    Larry Niven, Protector

If you request the credit to be transferred to your xen account we will transfer it and shut down the server immediately. If you don't explicitly request that to happen, we'll leave the server running till the end of the billing cycle.

In neither case will we issue an actual refund via paypal or credit card.
    Last edited by Todd@VPSlink; 10-29-2007 at 10:46 PM. Reason: inversion

I just noticed the addition of XEN based VPS's... I guess that's a credit to the service, I don't have the need to come to the actual site much at all

Xen is my preferred platform, I was on it before I came here, and while I've been pretty happy with OpenVZ, there have been times when I miss the flexibility offered with Xen.

So, now that I see that I can run Ubuntu on Xen here, I'm excited. I understand the procedure requires that I set up a second VPS so I can transfer everything over there.

Now here's my question, I signed up with a lifetime discount... when I switch do I lose that discount?

I'm too lazy to search for them right now, but if you take a look you'll find a few threads with some info. Although things may have changed in the months since they introduced xen plans, their stance was always discounts you currently have on openvz plans would not transfer to xen plans.

That is correct. We do not offer discounts on our Xen-based plans.

That's too bad. What's the logic behind this? I guess I don't understand why not. When I signed on, I was under the impression from the offer I saw posted on webhostingtalk that the discount was good as long as I was a customer... Since that's what it stated.

I suppose I would understand better if I was interested in changing to a higher plan, and therefore actually getting more of a discount, but with the Xen and OpenVZ accounts being priced identically, I guess I don't see the reasoning behind this.

Is the policy the same if I wanted to setup another VPS to be able to upgrade my OS without significant downtime? Would I keep the discount if I setup another OpenVZ account? Or would I have to buy the second server, transfer my site, upgrade the old VPS' OS, and then transfer my site back, and finally cancel the second account? If that's actually the case... it's just silly.

Your discount (as a dollar amount) would remain with you if you upgraded your current account or opened a different OpenVZ account (though you can only get the discount on one vps at a time).

Xen-based vpses are more expensive for us to provide, but we do offer the same allocations at the same prices as our OpenVZ accounts. We just don't offer any discounts on them.

I just signed up for a 10% off for life account. I chose OpenVZ, but am thinking about switching to Xen. Will I still be able to receive the discount if I open a new Xen account and then close teh OpenVZ account?

Thanks...

Kevin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jonto View Post
    I just signed up for a 10% off for life account. I chose OpenVZ, but am thinking about switching to Xen. Will I still be able to receive the discount if I open a new Xen account and then close teh OpenVZ account?

Thanks...

The 10% off coupon ended on March 31st. Unfortunately, the discounts can only be used for the original plan and cannot be transfered to a new server. "Lifetime discount" means, as long as you keep that particular server.

Sorry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast