Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Much Arch usage?

Default Much Arch usage?

Hi there all, and especially to the Archers out there. I have recently been considering putting Archlinux onto my testing server. It is a link1. I have always been a hardcore Gentoo user in my home environment. Obviously with all the compiling, this would be a poor choice for a Link1.

I was wondering if any of you Link1+Arch users have problems using the abs source system. I compiled csup(the pkgbuild fetching program) onto my Link1 ubuntu system, and had to shut down almost all of my services inorder for it to run. Kept getting memory consumption problems.

Also, how often do you synchronize with the binary package trees inorder to make sure you are up-to-date with security and bug fixes?

This is of course assuming that there are actually Arch users on here... :-P I'll be really surprised if I get much reply since I have only seen one posting on these forums about Archlinux so far.

Default Arch on VPS is it possible?

Archlinux really rocks. I've been able to install it on a Xen box as a guest os, however, I've no idea how this can be done on a vpslink VPS. If it's possible I am migrating right away.

At the moment I believe Arch is only available on OpenVZ. For the record we have 13 users with Arch installed currently.

Any idea how I can migrate? I mean get an OpenVZ and Arch installation. Does it involve any extra costs for the Arch install?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    Any idea how I can migrate? I mean get an OpenVZ and Arch installation. Does it involve any extra costs for the Arch install?
    There is no additional cost for the Arch Linux template under OpenVZ, however, you would need to cancel your account and create a new account at VPSLink if you are migrating from the Xen platform. (As described in the Switching from OpenVZ to Xen thread)

I've just set up Arch on a Link-2. I've been using yaourt without any problems, but I haven't compiled much.

If you need to compile something on a Link-1, distcc may be your only option.

Quote Originally Posted by vpslinkdotcom View Post
    At the moment I believe Arch is only available on OpenVZ. For the record we have 13 users with Arch installed currently.
    Are there plans to offer it for the Xen platform? I would much rather use Xen, but I signed up for VPS Link because you offered Arch Linux so for now am forced to using OpenVZ, which is fine except for the lack of swap.

I'm also interested in Arch on Xen. Arch would give me all needed benefits of Gentoo (straightforward flexibility, total control) and it doesn't suffer from Gentoo's major shortcoming when deployed on a VPSLink-2; namely, Arch has binary packages for most software I need. (For the rest it provides ABS for Portage-style source package management.) I ran Gentoo on an OpenVZ VPSLink-2 account for a couple of years but I didn't have enough time to deal with the problems which arise in such a low-resource environment on a distro where every package installation and upgrade had to be compiled, so that server became increasingly unmaintained.

I ditched OpenVZ for Xen because I've found the latter performs far better on a VPSLink-2, although I didn't choose to put Gentoo on it partly because of the above and partly because some problems had begun creeping into VPSLink's Gentoo template by that time. So on the Xen account I've run through a few other distros offered by VPSLink but, as other long-time Gentoo users can sympathize with, I haven't been satisfied with any of them. I think Arch would be the perfect solution for me here.

Are there technical blockers to prepping Arch for Xen, or is it more a matter of manpower vs. customer demand?

Default trouble with touch

anyone running arch linux having error with touch?

touch: setting times of `test': Function not implemented

anyone know of a way to fix this? i686 openvz arch linux

The issue appears to be related to a recent update of our Arch template (notably discussed on the Arch Linux forums - it does not appear as though the resolution provided there will be applicable on i686, however).

I have forwarded this issue to our template developers for consideration - if you would be willing to create a support ticket for the issue, the template development ticket to reference will be #825271

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast